boot.ini help

biferi

Daemon Poster
The Boot Loader section identifies the location of the default Operating System.

But this does not show the location should it not look like this
c:\windows???

Boot Loader.

Timeout=30
default=multi[0]disk[0]rdisk[0]partition[1]\Windows

No because the part "disk[0]rdisk[0]partition[1]" part specifies that part hard disk that is c:/.

The drive letter c is assigned after loading Windows, the default=multi[0]disk[0]rdisk[0]partition[1] thing is used before Windows loads.

Hope this helps :)

Ok, I'll "disect" it like this:

multi[0] = this is used with normal IDE hard drives so the computer can wich adapter to look at.

disk[0] = The disk on the controller. If multi(0) is used used,like in your case, this value will always be 0.

This is where we get into the "good stuff" that you can edit to boot another operating sytem or whatever if need be:

rdisk[0] = this specifies wich disk on that controler. In this case, 0 would be the first hard drive, and rdisk[1] would mean it's looking on the second hard drive if theres one in the computer.

partition[1] = Which partition the operating system is on. In your case, because the number is 1, the first partion.

\Windows = Finally, the last portion of this line defines the directory (folder) of where windows is located.

So your boot.ini you show above is telling the computer that windows is located on the first partion of the first hard drive, in a folder named Windows.

EDIT: looks like we both posted at the same time :p

Does anyone know of a good web site that will tell me Line by Line what everythig in the Boot.INI File means???

Well what I think I am missing is this?

Boot Loader.
Timeout=30
This is how long in sec. the menu is displayed.

default=multi[0] what is this?

disk[0] what is this??

rdisk[0] what is this?

partition[1]\Windows what is this??

Operating System.
default=multi[0]disk[0]rdisk[0]partition[1]\Windows="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

And the same with this??

I think I got it??

default=multi[0]disk[0]

default=multi[0] is the disk controller number witch is 0. I get this.
But what is disk[0]???????

Back
Top Bottom