MSI Platinum P35...

wol-va-rine

Fully Optimized
dead motherboard and 3 case fans (thrown in as freebies) for $25 arrived via USPS today, dead motherboard operable (revived...?) at the moment, I put it on the motherboard box it came in and hooked it up to the kids' Gigabyte P35 board and it booted right up after moving the memory to the secondary slots (low voltage DDR2 667MHz GSkill), similar chipsets let's it boot IIRC...? GA-P35-S3G, it's running hot (70°C idle at first, now 60°C), but I suspect the temps will drop once I get it in the case and remount the stock E6600 heatsink and fan, all lights green on the motherboard LED indicator...

camper, happy, me, etc., besides the fact that USPS parcel post beat the living hell out of the box in transit...

$25 dead motherboards FTW...!!!

It is certainly a very nice feeling. My two "faulty" HD 4870 X2s are still a vivid memory. :D

It is certainly a very nice feeling. My two "faulty" HD 4870 X2s are still a vivid memory. :D

just to let you know, I STILL hate you for that...

;)

what did you end up doing with the cards...? did you sell one or both...? I don't see them in your sig...

I bought a supposedly dead mobo off eBay. Asus p5q SE. Updated the BIOS (then it worked WTF the guy must have been mentally challenged I booted it up and it requested a BIOS update WTF eBay seller?) and now it sits in my desktop with a 512mb 4850 3gb of Super Talent DDR2 and a 3.00ghz core 2 quad and will run crysis at high settings at 40 fps.

I bought a supposedly dead mobo off eBay. Asus p5q SE. Updated the BIOS (then it worked WTF the guy must have been mentally challenged I booted it up and it requested a BIOS update WTF eBay seller?) and now it sits in my desktop with a 512mb 4850 3gb of Super Talent DDR2 and a 3.00ghz core 2 quad and will run crysis at high settings at 40 fps.

worshipme is also a member of the "I raped a fleabay seller" club, two 4870x2s for about $200 or something, they didn't work in crossfire so I guess the guy assumed both cards were bad (or something like that) and was selling them in the "buy it now" section IIRC...

It was 60 euros, around $90 for both of them. And they worked perfectly even in CF, I don't know what the hell the seller was doing.

It was 60 euros, around $90 for both of them. And they worked perfectly even in CF, I don't know what the hell the seller was doing.

still rubbing it in I see, ;) , are you still running those somewhere...? I don't see them in your sig...

They were sold, around 280 euros each :D I used one of them back in that benchmark contest to kick some 295 arse.

Nice - does anyone remember the faulty batch of Dell monitors years and years back? Think it was a load of 19" LCDs, pretty top of the range for the time anyway, but IIRC there were a couple of dodgy, easily accessible resistors prone to failing after a couple of years. Less than £1 in parts, bit of time soldering and they were better than new, and you could pick them off ebay for around a fiver!

Nice - does anyone remember the faulty batch of Dell monitors years and years back? Think it was a load of 19" LCDs, pretty top of the range for the time anyway, but IIRC there were a couple of dodgy, easily accessible resistors prone to failing after a couple of years. Less than £1 in parts, bit of time soldering and they were better than new, and you could pick them off ebay for around a fiver!

I vividly remember being at a CHKD thrift store with my friend and passing right by a 24" (23.6"?) Samsung widescreen LCD in a Viewsonic box without seeing it on the floor, my friend right behind me picked up the box, took the monitor out and plugged it in, it powered on for a second and then right off again, he talked the manager down to $25, bought it, googled the problem, went on fleabay and ordered a few capacitors for $5 (a pack of 8 or so), unsoldered the old one and soldered in the new one and now has a fully functioning 1080p LCD for ~$30, I wanted to kick myself for walking by it...

:mad:

Back
Top Bottom