First time build for college student (newb alert)

That sounds actually kind of fun. I'd probably like to get this done within the next 2 weeks...Junior year starts soon. :eek:

Otherwise, how does everyone think this one looks?: http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4326937&CatId=2629

5 sec boot time? Wow.

It's only a dual core, and I would say if you're building go with a quad core, it is more expensive now, but you won't have to upgrade later on. Also since you said you want to play games, I would go with DDR-800 RAM minimum. 1066 would be perfect (This is what I mean when it comes to ram Numbers)
Also the Graphics card isn't really good, COD and WoW will have to be played on low graphics :(
However everything else is pretty good, plus it looks sexy :D
Those downsides aren't really too bad, they are all fixable.
The processor you could upgrade later on (3-4 years later down the road) RAM is good DDR2-800 is Ok, but I would go for 1066 if you plan on keeping this. Also the graphics card poses no problem, you can buy yourself a nice one for $140.
Now the problem is, this computer is $800.
Add the processor and the graphics card, and you will end up spending over $1000, whereas a home built computer can be made for $900 with good parts and will last longer.
It does say it is 5 second boot, but remember that it is Linux not Windows (Not really a problem, but you may want to keep Windows)
Plus I bet the boot is when you first buy it, add programs, install what you need, and I doubt the 5 second boot will stay.

These are great suggestions guys. I'm going to work on finalizing it tomorrow, and I'll post up what I've decided then.

So, there might be a hitch in my master plan.

My parents will pay for half of the computer, but on the condition that I don't build it myself. Now I maybe stupid, but I'm not so stupid that I'd pass up this opportunity.

Because of this, I'm probably going to get a laptop. Just seems more cost effective.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4933920&CatId=3444

I was thinking this computer, but I would get more RAM. Used for gaming, surfing, etc.

What does everyone think?

Back
Top Bottom