Is this Healthy OC? (Q9550)

I believe they start throttling at 100C.
Or that's what Intel says the TJ max for them is.,

Thermal throttling yes but the recommended top range for normal usage is 71.4°C as per the linked specs page at Intel

Q9550 specs

Personally I would consider ~70°C+ too hot, I would be aiming for around 60°C max

Alright, so I re seated my cooler as well as cleaned up the whole case in general and started the Overclock.
Seems like my chip kinda hits the wall at 3.5ish on reasonable voltages.
Tested with Prime95 for few hours as well as Intel Burn Test.
Temps are still little high but that's due to my extremely hot room temp (85-87F).
Here are some shots, Coudlnt' get the mem timings tighter than that :-(
What You guys think ?

1-2.png

2-2.png

P1000386.jpg

Those temps are a huge improvement, which test is that Prime95 or IBT? excellent result if it is IBT.

Have you run the Real Temp sensor test? There is usually a disparity between chips that can be up to 10°C but I've not seen such a big disparity from sensors on the same chip (68/61)? Is it possible your cooler isn't seated evenly thus giving an elevated reading on the one core?

How is the flatness of the cooler base / cpu IHS? use a straight razor blade on edge across the diagonals (corner to corner) to see if they are Flat/concave/convex.

Otherwise a pretty handy inprovement on your initial post for sure.

I still think you're feeding your memory too much voltage and with your NB/SB voltage lowered it may be the cause of not being able to get tighter memory timings.

it better be on it straight and flat because it is incredible bitch to remove and re-seat the Cooler MAster V8 in my case.
Not gunna worry about it.
I was wondering if you have any suggestions on how to push even higher Freq ?
I tried so many times, changing all kinds of voltages and parameters with no luck.
Maybe my chip is hitting the ceiling at 3.5, which is hard to believe.

My goal is to hit 3.6 and leave it at that., I'm so close damnit ! :p :confused:

Try FSB 425MHz, CPU - 1.325V, NB - 1.25V

Try a different memory strap, I don't know what that board has available there may be a 333MHz v a 400MHz strap option somewhere, this can be the difference between a good OC and not posting on some boards. I'm not familiar with the board or chip but, remember, Google is your friend

Q9550 Overclocking guide search results

;)

:D

Thank you for reply
oh believe me, I've searched and read some.
I will try those suggested settings later.
However,As you can notice on the screenshot my SB/NB combined is at ~1.000, how will I know if my NB is at 1.25V ? If it only shows that combined crap.
Thx

Raise them both I guess, just keep an eye on the temps, NB should not be much more than 50°C under load ideally.

Back
Top Bottom