Windows 7 question

emmapaynter

Banned
Hey guys

Basically, I've recently ordered a new PC (should be here by the end of the week!) and I got £5 knocked off my price for going with:

Genuine Windows Vista™ Home Premium SP1, 64-bit + Windows 7 Upgrade Option - English[UPG = -£5]

rather than

Genuine Windows Vista™ Home Premium with Service Pack 1, 64-bit - English[UPG = +£0]

I used the Livechat service and the guy said that Windows was offering such deals to encourage people to take up Windows 7 when it came out - however I spoke to someone at work today and they basically said that an upgrade to Windows 7 was free for anyone.

I'm very confused - what's the crack with W7?

It's not free for anyone - your computer has to have been manufactured after the twenty-somethingth of July (yours appears to have been) in order to qualify. :)

The pre-order prices on Windows 7 were pretty good too - £49.99 for Home Premium and £99.99 for Professional. Those are so much cheaper than the full retail prices that a colleague and I drove all the way out to a John Lewis store to pre-order them. Hell, I don't even use Windows and I was tempted :p

Thing is, Microsoft needs to price windows 7 to sell - Vista sucked, most people using windows are still more than happy with XP and there's a growing number of people switching to distributions like Ubuntu as they become easier to use and more feature friendly every year.

Windows isn't (legally!) free for anyone yet - but there are a growing number of people I've spoken to that reckon a few years down the line it may well be free for personal use. I'm not sure if this will happen or not, but given the situation at the moment it wouldn't surprise me if it did!

I can't see Windows ever becoming free, but I do wonder if Microsoft might ever make a free operating system that has some functionality similar to Windows in order to keep people using Microsoft's software even when they can't afford to actually buy it. I've always thought they could score big-time by creating their own Linux distribution and including support for .exe-type files...

Thing is, Microsoft needs to price windows 7 to sell - Vista sucked, most people using windows are still more than happy with XP and there's a growing number of people switching to distributions like Ubuntu as they become easier to use and more feature friendly every year.

Windows isn't (legally!) free for anyone yet - but there are a growing number of people I've spoken to that reckon a few years down the line it may well be free for personal use. I'm not sure if this will happen or not, but given the situation at the moment it wouldn't surprise me if it did!

It is for me, sorta ;)

Back
Top Bottom