Dangers of RF antennas?

The way I've always seen it is this - in this age of stringent H&S where it seems you can't cross a road without doing a risk assessment anymore, if there really was substantial cause for concern and evidence to back this up, they'd be on it in a shot.

Until then, anyone trying to convince me that they're not safe is going to have a pretty impossible task ahead of them!
Haha if you copy and paste my title in google the whole first page is links to conspiracy theory's about the dangers. I know in England people didnt want wifi AP's set up for fear of causing brain cancer in children.....

What specific frequency levels cause the most harm? I would think shorter wavelengths but honestly 800mhz at 6watt's and 2.4ghz at 6watt's are both similarly dangerous applications if you disregard there placement.

well typically the higher up you go in frequency the more energy the waves can carry once it reaches a certain energy level the rf waves become ionising radiation and thats the type that can cause more harm but that dosent happen till you get to ultraviolet or X ray frequencies its some complicated psyhics that i dont fully understand so im going to stop here
However i can say one thing . Spending an hour in a sunbed would be worse for you thean spending an hour on the phone

I'm not sure if it counts as an official study or not (probably not) but there was a program on TV a while back here where they got a few volunteers and put a portable mobile phone mast outside where they were staying for the week. They were told it would be off for the first half of the week and on for the second, however the reverse was actually true, it was on for the first and off for the second. In the first half of the week everyone felt fine, in the second half a few people began to complain they weren't feeling well...

That to me says it all!

EDIT:
well typically the higher up you go in frequency the more energy the waves can carry once it reaches a certain energy level the rf waves become ionising radiation and thats the type that can cause more harm but that dosent happen till you get to X ray frequencies its some complicated psyhics that i dont fully understand so im going to stop here
In conventional physics yes, the shorter the wavelength (higher the frequency) the more penetrating the waves get and therefore their ability to do harm goes up. This doesn't always hold true practically however and once you start getting into wave-particle duality things really get rather complicated and interesting (especially since it's something that no-one fully understands, which is part of the reason why we have these scares in the first place!)

I'm not sure if it counts as an official study or not (probably not) but there was a program on TV a while back here where they got a few volunteers and put a portable mobile phone mast outside where they were staying for the week. They were told it would be off for the first half of the week and on for the second, however the reverse was actually true, it was on for the first and off for the second. In the first half of the week everyone felt fine, in the second half a few people began to complain they weren't feeling well...

That to me says it all!

EDIT:

In conventional physics yes, the shorter the wavelength (higher the frequency) the more penetrating the waves get and therefore their ability to do harm goes up. This doesn't always hold true practically however and once you start getting into wave-particle duality things really get rather complicated and interesting (especially since it's something that no-one fully understands, which is part of the reason why we have these scares in the first place!)
Haha that just proves it's all in peoples heads...

@muz,

I understand the physics of it but I've never heard of a big difference of the dangers at the lower levels say 300-11000mhz. Of course Xrays become dangerous with lots of exposure though.

Haha that just proves it's all in peoples heads...

@muz,

I understand the physics of it but I've never heard of a big difference of the dangers at the lower levels say 300-11000mhz. Of course Xrays become dangerous with lots of exposure though.

There wouldnt be much difference between the frequencies in the microwave band

And there are some people where there actually proven cases that they are more sensetive to RF radiation than others not so that they get cancer all they have is a bad headache when exposed to rf radiation

There wouldnt be much difference between the frequencies in the microwave band

And there are some people where there actually proven cases that they are more sensetive to RF radiation than others not so that they get cancer all they have is a bad headache when exposed to rf radiation

Well I'm not quite sure how extensive the usage or even the allocation of frequency's above the microwave band are...I mean I know theres some satelights that use higher frequency's than the microwave band but I'm not sure how widespread they are and plus they are'nt in the proiximity or at the low look angles as almost all cellular and WLAN antenna applications are.

Back
Top Bottom