learn how to encrypted...

j5

Beta member
Hello, tech heads
I have a distinct interest in coding, I like the james bond, bourne identity movies and books. I see all the time the encrypting codes that appear on screen when they're trying to caught the bad guy and i was just imaging me doing that. I was wondering were would i start if i wanted to get into something like that. I know java and html but i want to do what they do in the movies.
Any tips,
J5

Hello, tech heads
I have a distinct interest in coding, I like the james bond, bourne identity movies and books. I see all the time the encrypting codes that appear on screen when they're trying to caught the bad guy and i was just imaging me doing that. I was wondering were would i start if i wanted to get into something like that. I know java and html but i want to do what they do in the movies.
Any tips,
J5

Well I will be the first to tell you, the movies are just that.. Movies.
But SOME of the things in movies can be done in real life.
Do you have a particular scene from a movie you could point us to?
This would help us understand what you really want to do.
To encrypt and decrypt something is a rather broad spectrum.

Well you could learn some sql injections or JavaScript injections. that is the first thing i would tell you to learn for databases which is what most computers are connected by in the movies unless its a private computer. These could work well on school or work computers. Just be careful on what you use them on. Some injections could get you in trouble.

Well I will be the first to tell you, the movies are just that.. Movies.

That makes me think of the movie 'Hackers' and how unrealistic the computer interface seemed in that movie. But, I have to admit, I do really like the movie.

It does seem really impressive a lot of the time but yeah - most things seen in films are really just fiction. Nothing more, and they'd never work in real life for about a million reasons!

If you want a truthful film, check out freedom downtime. It follows the story of Kevin Mitnick and a few of his friends trying to raise awareness of his story - sad in a way and not your typical action blockbuster at all, but a good watch with some funny moments. If you want to see what your typical hacker is really like, then that's what you should be looking at!

While I'm at it, here's what NOT to do:
1) Google for various programs that launch viruses, password crackers, common exploits, SQL injections and suchlike
2) Find a target PC
3) Run such programs on a target PC

This won't teach you anything, and will most likely do any of 2 things:

1) Get you a reputation as a mindless script kiddie
2) Get you in a lot of serious trouble generally

So yeah - there is that easy route, but it lands a lot of people in hot water and doesn't teach you anything, so steer clear of that one ;-)

Rather than watch films though, if you're interested in computer security there's a few things you can do that'll really help you:

1) Learn maths to a good standard. Especially integer mathematics (the branch that deals with whole numbers) and proof. Encryption stuff is very heavily maths based and you need a good knowledge to understand it all.
2) Increase your programming knowledge. Seriously, you can never go too far with this one, and it helps not just for the security side of things but pretty much everything else as well.
3) Buy a good book on some of the existing algorithms out there, learn how they're formed, their strengths and weaknesses and so on. To do this properly you'll need a good grounding in both of the above!

That is a very long route but the one that will ultimately give you the most knowledge on the subject. From there, learning about things like SQL injections and XSS would be pretty easy!

If you're after a shorter route but still want to learn something worthwhile I can recommend "how to break web software", it's a pretty comprehensive book covering most of the common web security flaws (and a pretty much essential read if you're doing any web stuff yourself that requires heightened security.)

Good luck with it if you're still interested, but remember computer security is a massive topic and one that's generally speaking not at all like what you see in some film!

I need to learn a programming language... working on C++ though. But it really seems like nothing out there uses C++ anymore... unless I am mistaken?

There's TONS of material (if lines of code could be measured that way!) written in C++, it's definitely a language worth learning. It's true that Java has replaced C++ for a lot of programs, but there's still plenty out there already in C++. It also sometimes fits the task in hand better than Java does for new programs.

So while it's perhaps not used quite as much as it used to be, it's still widely used - to say "nothing out there uses C++ anymore" is most definitely incorrect :)

positions like that are generally glamorized in movies.

a more realistic depiction would be someone in a cubical slaving away endlessly while the boss who has little knowledge of what's going on hounds them for results.

secondly generally what goes on in these movies is someone staring blankly at a screen while pretending to press keys rapidly. you can do this yourself without much training. you can also 'cat /dev/urandom' to even have a ton of random stuff appear on you screen.

good luck.

Back
Top Bottom