My computer chugged for some reason

alazar14

Solid State Member
Hi all. I'm having a problem with my computer.
Earlier today I was trying to play 3 different games, and the problem happened on all 3 of the games. The computer / Game chugged a lot. The only way I can explain it is sorta like the frame rate was down, but it was not. An exact description would be, "Character is walking, character stops for a half a second, character is now walking again but skipped half a second of animation & almost did a mini teleport).

I don't really know how else to describe it.

I re-set my computer and the problem seems to have gone away. However I am worried about it and wonder what It can be. The computer basically only has 6 games installed and basic web browser, also whatever windows xp comes with. This is because I recently sent it in for repairs.

I just got my computer back from the repair facility too. This problem was not there when I sent it in, but before It had a failing Graphic card and GPU.

They replaced the graphics card, and I assume my HDD (Because when I got it back my HDD was blank).

Now I seem to have gotten this problem and I am worried its yet another hardware failure. I really don't want to have to pay another 30 dollars (for a 3rd time now) to send a computer in that is only about 10 months old back to repairs.

So If you guys have experienced a problem like this before maybe you can let me know what it is.

I can tell you right away it is not my hardware being to old to run the programs. Games I try to run are old games, and my computer should have no problem handling them considering it didn't have this problem, before I sent it in. Nor does it have it now, after I restart the computer.

I am using Windows xp 32 bit SP3
Nvidia 9600GT
AMD Atholon 64X2 Dual core processor 6000+
3.2GB Ram

Welcome to The ComputerForums :).

The 9600GT is quite capable and shouldn't have a problem handling the games you throw at it. However, that does not mean the card is corrupt. Try running a program such as Furmark to test your GPU and check for artifacts/lagging. I got an average of 43 frames on 1440x900. See if yours runs about the same or at least 40. Repair shops are (sadly) mostly con-artists these days and you can't trust a damn word that leaves their mouths. So they may have clocked down your GPU to have you coming back. Try running GPUz and take a screen shot of what the program reports and post it to us here.

Also, what motherboard do you have?

Much luck.

I don't know how to send or put a picture on here so I guess I will type it all out by hand

Score: 1511 o3Marks- Time 60000ms

MAX GPU Temp 63c
Resolution 1680X1050 (FS) - MSSA: 0X
FPS Mini=22 max 35 avg 25

System Info
Renderer Nvidia GeForce9600GT
Graphic Drivers Forceware 6.14.11.9038 (7-13-2009)
GPU-Z GPU-Z Data not available
CPU AMD Athlon 64 X2 dual core processor 6000+
CPU Speed 3015 MHZ
System memory 3326MB
Operating system Windows XP build 2600 Service pack 3

This is all the info it gave me.

Also, Could me using google chrome as my main browser be causing the problem?

Here is the info for Techpowerup GPU-Z

Name Nvidia Geforce 9600GT
GPU G94 Revision A1
Technology 65nm Die Size 240mm(squared)
Release date Feb 21 2008 Transistors 505M
Bios Version :
Subvendor unidentified
ROP 16
Bus Interface PCI-EX16@X16
Shader 64 Unified
DX support 10.0/SM4.0
pixel fillrate 10.4 Gpixel/s
Texture Filrate 20.8 GT exel/s
Memory Type DDR2
Bus Width 256 bit
Memory Size 1024MB
Bandwidth 25.6GB/s
Driver Version Nv4_disp 6.14.11.9038 Force ware 190.38 XP
GPU clock 650MHZ
Memory 400MHz Shader 1625 MHz
Default Clock 650 MHz Memory 400MHz Shader 1625MHz
Nvidia SLI Disabled.

Your 9600GT's memory clock should be at 900MHz.

That's unbelievable that they would underclock it like that! I would be PISSED if that was my computer :mad: , of course I wouldn't send it in if it was but still :p

anyhow, try getting a utility like riva tuner, (actually, your nvidia drivers should do the trick, just open the control panel) and turning the memory clock back at 900mhz.

Also, the memory clock would really explain it. I have a crappy little compaq, it only had 512mb ram, so I put in 512 from another computer. Turns out the ram I got from the other computer was horrible, so every time I did ANYTHING with graphics (games, youtube, simply scrolling a page) it would handle it fine, then freeze for a fraction of a sec, then be fine, freeze, fine, freeze, etc. In games it was horrible, because the duration of the freeze would increase the entire time, absolutely ruining the game.

He has 4Gb of RAM. I am guessing it's PC2-6400 which is what I run (800MHz DDR). So his actual memory wouldn't be the issue. I don't see how your GPU's memory clock is 400MHz, or how that is considered "default" but as Gibson has said. Use A program called RivaTuner or your Nvidia Control Panel (Ntune) to raise your GPU's memory clock to 900MHz which is default.

OP, you didnt by chance accidentally under clock your card?

iv never heard of a OEM under clocking a card by that much...

He has 4Gb of RAM. I am guessing it's PC2-6400 which is what I run (800MHz DDR). So his actual memory wouldn't be the issue. I don't see how your GPU's memory clock is 400MHz, or how that is considered "default" but as Gibson has said. Use A program called RivaTuner or your Nvidia Control Panel (Ntune) to raise your GPU's memory clock to 900MHz which is default.

Well, I was using integrated graphics which was using the main system ram. I probably should have said that :eek:

Back
Top Bottom