A question about Dell Inspiron 1720 Intel GM965

anthonyaudi

Solid State Member
Hello guys, I have a question.
First off it's great to be part of a new community hopefully I can get some insight!

So I have a Dell Inspiron 1720 with an Nvidia 8600GM 256Meg GFX Card.

Now I want to upgrade my video card I know that when I bought the machine the maximum capacity video memory was 256mb.

So I got curious I took apart my machine and noticed that my GFX card can be taken out. So I'm asking myself, are laptop video cards specific to the chipset OR to the mark of laptop you have?

What I mean is, if the maximum video memory a GM965 can hold is say 512 MB can I change my video card to a 512 mb card? Or can I not change GPU because it is specific to a Dell Inspiron 1720?

If I can change it, where can I get this card?

It's about the interface type and bandwidth it can take. Typically there is no "maximum" of video memory a chipset can take. If you are going to change the GPU, make sure the one you are looking at uses the same interface type and has the same bandwidth. (x##) (or in G/T's). I wonder if you can find a 9600m GPU with the same interface.

9600m

Oh, and welcome to The ComputerForums :).

And how would I go about knowing if that particular GPU would fit in my laptop?
my main concern is I want to get a GPU that will fit properly on my motherboard..
The specs of my laptop are

Intel Core 2 Duo X9000 Extreme 2.8Ghz Dual core
4gb Ddr2 800Mhz
2x500GB@5400RPM
256MB Nvidia 8600GM
those are really the main components of my Laptop the rest is pretty standard.

Thanks I'm just trying to figure out if I can get my GPU a little stronger because really if I upgrade my GPU I have a brand new laptop. My GPU is 256 MB if I can get it to 512mb OR 1GB I would be a very very happy camper. The truth is, I didn't pay anything for my Inspiron 1720 so if I can get a better GPU I can basically have an M1720 for very little, and I think it would be cool to give myself a little project like this :)

I think the largest issue would be buying a laptop GPU by itself other than ebay. Not many people are vendors to end users. Mostly just OEM vendors.

Also, I did not find anything on your motherboard's GPU socket type. Try googling it and see what sort of results turn up.

Make your Dellâ„¢ Inspironâ„¢ 1720 Notebook a champion by upgrading with memory specifically ... dual core 1.6ghz processor,2 Gb ddr2 ram, 160 Gb hdd,and 8600 GT (512mb)

What's the link to the page?

Back
Top Bottom