Psu Amount

dont know what most that stuff means i am a complete novice - if i put too high a wattage on it would it crash completely??

dont know what most that stuff means i am a complete novice - if i put too high a wattage on it would it crash completely??

Actually, as long as the power supply has all the connectors that you need you can go as far overboard as you want without harm. If you need a 500 watt power supply, you could install and use a 1000 watt power supply. Your motherboard and other hardware only draw the power that they need. You just need to make sure that your power suppy is able to supply all the power your computer needs. If the power supply has more than the computer needs no problem.

[Edit]
It looks like you need at about 250 watts according to the calculator. (that I posted a link to)

I would recommend this:Antec Basiq BP430 430W if you want to keep costs low.

And this: PC Power & Cooling Silencer PPCS500 500W if you are not worried about the cost.

They are both good power supplies with room for future expansion of your computer.

The only disadvantage from using a bigger PSU is lower efficiency.

As stated above your computer will draw the current it needs from the PSU and it won't draw more current because its a 1GW PSU! But bear in mind that oversized PSU's will draw higher quiescent currents than the smaller PSU's though..

The main thing is... you wont damage your computer.

I find that having a power supply with room for expansion is much more important than the difference in power supplys quiescent power loss while loaded at 50% rather than 100%.

Back
Top Bottom