Need an Estimate - Apple Power Mac G4 Cube

dude_56013

Fully Optimized
So, I've acquired an Apple Power Mac G4 Cube from a friend. I know nothing about apple, so my plan was to put linux on it if possible, if it's not worth anything.

Specs are as follows:
450Mhz/1M Cache CPU (PowerPC G4)
128MB SDRAM
20GB HDD
DVD-ROM
Mac OS 9 (booted and this looks ancient to me; comp. says "2000" on it...so that would make sense)

Just wondering how much this would go for in it's original state.

I've also got the monitor (humongous CRT..maybe a 15"...original apple one) and the keyboard and mouse...along with a set of spherical apple speakers and a usb floppy disk drive.

Thanks, all.

That was my thought. And that's if you can even find someone to buy it at that price. It's going for around $50 on eBay. But I have no disc to be able to wipe the HDD and reinstall OS 9 anyways (I promised my friend that I'd wipe it if I didn't chuck it).

Can I install Linux? Will it work with the CPU? It's not an intel or AMD..it's one of those motorola ones I think.

There's a small but determined community out there that's devoted to this computer. There's plenty of modifications you could do. Try to find one and ask them what you could do with it.

Alright. I'll see what I can find.

So, any word on the linux thing? I'm still not sure...I'll try and do some googling on that in the mean time as well...

That's a good question, i'd be interested in the answer, because typically linux is built to run on 'PC parts'

That's a good question, i'd be interested in the answer, because typically linux is built to run on 'PC parts'

Exactly. I can see that if it were a newer apple with an intel CPU, it'd work fine...but...this isn't an intel or amd!

Found this on everymac.com

Can the Power Mac G4 Cube run Linux?

YellowDog offers a distribution of Linux that is largely compatible with the Power Mac G4 Cube. For complete details regarding supported and unsupported functions, please refer to the appropriate website.

Nope haven't tried it yet. I've gotta wait until my main computer is back up (waiting for RMA'd PSU) to DL the rest of my linux torrents I HAD going before the thing crapped out. So soon, my friend, soon :D. Hopefully it'll work. It's a nice little compact box that could be used for a variety of things.

Back
Top Bottom