Linux... possibly

TitanMATRIX

In Runtime
I've been thinking about putting Linux on my laptop and if I get a PC i'm thinking about putting Linux on that. But I was just wanting to gather opinions about it... for the interface I was thinking KDE... again opinions. I'm wanting to get info on this so I do it right and if it is a good move.

thanks,

TitanMATRIX

If you really want to use KDE, then let me suggest that you install a Linux distribution that has it preinstalled. An example would be Kubuntu (Ubuntu installs gnome by default). While not impossible, it is difficult to install KDE after the fact and actually get it to work.

If you really want to use KDE, then let me suggest that you install a Linux distribution that has it preinstalled. An example would be Kubuntu (Ubuntu installs gnome by default). While not impossible, it is difficult to install KDE after the fact and actually get it to work.

I have to disagree with you on that one. It is really easy to install KDE from a Ubuntu and then even run it. I recommend that you have a look at this.

Cheers!

I have to disagree with you on that one. It is really easy to install KDE from a Ubuntu and then even run it. I recommend that you have a look at this.

Cheers!

I never tried installing KDE after the fact in Ubuntu. I just remembered the hard times I had in SuSE, PCLinuxOS and Mandrake (I think those were the ones). Compilers, make files, etc. Major pain in the ass back then. Thanks for the heads up. Hey, do you think the same thing will work in Linux Mint? I'm pretty sure it's Ubuntu-based.

Hey, do you think the same thing will work in Linux Mint? I'm pretty sure it's Ubuntu-based.

I would have to say yes. As long as the packages are .deb then it should work. If you want do a google search and you should find your answer.

Cheers!

KDE / Ubuntu / XFCE / whatever - take your pick, it's really just down to preference. KDE is a bit more fancy these days but the old, plain and simple Gnome does it for me without an issue :)

As for installing it on a laptop - laptop support is a lot better these days but bear in mind it's not perfect at all, you might be better putting it on a PC first, getting some experience with using it and then putting it on your laptop when you're a bit more confident with dealing with problems. Course you might not have any, but if you do having some experience is always useful.

In terms of distributions - Ubuntu or SUSE would be good choices if you're relatively new to Linux in general. I've found Ubuntu tends to be a bit better than SUSE about setting most hardware up for you - SUSE used to have the edge graphically but Ubuntu has probably caught up now. Either should work though, they're both good distros. SUSE is a bit more flexible as well, you can choose whether to install KDE / Gnome / another environment from within the same install process rather than be pointed at a different distribution for a different OS. Suse is also very good in the sense that you barely need to reboot, even when switching kernels (most of the time anyway!)

Good luck with it :)

Cheers!

If you want KDE and you haven't yet downloaded Linux why not download Kubuntu and install, it rather than downloading Ubuntu then have to install KDE afterward?

If you want KDE and you haven't yet downloaded Linux why not download Kubuntu and install, it rather than downloading Ubuntu then have to install KDE afterward?

I can think of a lot of reasons but the ones that really stick out are experimentation. Maybe you started with Gnome but you want to try KDE and you don't want to loose all your data.

Another is programing. You want to make sure a program that you made will function the same with Gnome and KDE before you send it out for the masses.

I am sure that there are a lot of other reasons too.

Cheers!

I think that was what I was trying to express in my original post. There is something to be said for ease of installation when a person is relatively new to Linux, no?

Back
Top Bottom