How to control fan speed

GibsonSGKing

Daemon Poster
OK, all of my case fans are at 100%, and the noise is getting irritating. If I'm browsing the web, I really don't think it's necessary. So, my question is, how can I slow them down? I would prefer to use software. Only problem is, my fans are the ones with just a positive and negative connection, no ground or control connection. Ideas? :confused:

Knob, pot, big dif. It's all the same thing. I find it hard to believe I can't change the voltage of the fans through the motherboard, but I guess I can't...

If your fans plug directly into the motherboard you usually can control them with software. There are three pin fan connectors, positive voltage, ground, and tachometer signal. Four pin fan connectors also have a control lead in addition to power, ground and speed signal. Most modern computer motherboards can control the power to the fan by using pulse width modulation. Fans with only to leads, power and ground, can't be controlled by the motherboard because the motherboard can't tell how fast the fan is spinning without the speed or tach signal.

If your fans plug directly into the motherboard you usually can control them with software. There are three pin fan connectors, positive voltage, ground, and tachometer signal. Four pin fan connectors also have a control lead in addition to power, ground and speed signal. Most modern computer motherboards can control the power to the fan by using pulse width modulation. Fans with only to leads, power and ground, can't be controlled by the motherboard because the motherboard can't tell how fast the fan is spinning without the speed or tach signal.

OK, that makes sense. I still thought there would be some way to change the voltage. I was going to get better fans anyhow, I guess I'll just make sure they're 4 pin.

OK, that makes sense. I still thought there would be some way to change the voltage. I was going to get better fans anyhow, I guess I'll just make sure they're 4 pin.

It may be cheaper to get a fan controller and do it manually, but...

According to the motherboard manual (for the motherboard in your signature line) your motherboard has three four pin fan plugs including one for the CPU fan. The fan headers including the one for the CPU Fan speed can be controlled and monitored in the Health status section of the Bios. There is a smart fan control setup that looks pretty cool.

Back
Top Bottom