need help with router or laptop issue

w333zy1

Solid State Member
Hey everyone,

I am very confused! I bought a laptop close to a year ago (dell inspiron 1525) came with vista had it till about this summer. Then my friend told me XP would run much faster because my laptop seemed kinda slow, after getting it done my laptop now running on XP always seemed to have a low connection, my room would be 2 floors up and one across from the routers room, I am only getting 2 bars at the most.
So i re-installed vista thinking it would go back to normal but it the same now, I had a few troubles getting the WIFI set up but i found the right driver, so now im up but still with 2 bars. I was thinking is it the Router? I have the D-link WBR-2310 i was looking into a D-link Xtreme N Wireless Router (DIR-655) they are around 110$ here.

Was wondering whats the best thing to do right now, should i get the new router? my current one is only a year old.

If you haven't already, try reorienting the wireless router antenna. Sometimes a little movement can make a big difference. Also, try moving your notebook computer, that may help also.

I have tried moving the antenna, i even moved the desktop computer unit (its the main computer in the house) that didnt do much help.

I am guessing i need a new router?

Try buying a wireless range extender. That should give you better coverage. Also try shutting off the network router, unplugging and replugging it, then switching it back on.

Also this thread belongs in the Networking/DNS section of the forums.

Back
Top Bottom