Win XP stops at loading screen

Daviss

Baseband Member
Ok, heres the deal
I have an old, shitty laptop but it was running Win XP fine until 2 days ago when it suddenly froze. Then it was manually restarted (via the power button) and now it just never gets past the Win XP loading screen. The blue loading bar never stops moving though.

When i try to run it in safe mode, it freezes on this line
...........WINDOWS/System32/Drivers/Mup.sys

When i try to run the recovery console, it freezes right after i start it on examining the HDD....... Examining xxxxx MB Disk 0 at Id 0 on Bus 0 on iaStor...

Any ideas on how to fix this? Is the HDD driver broken or something?

P.S.

I just connected the laptops HDD to my PC..

P.S.S

Ok so from the PC i can access the laptop HDD with no problems and i ran the recovery console and used chkdsk and it said the drive appears to be ok and was not checked. im starting to get confused..

First off while you have the drive setup on the desktop you may as well take the opportunity to back everything up you want from the drive itself. Being an old laptop the Windows installation itself probably isn't even worth trying to save to start with where a fresh clean install on a fresh primary would be your best option.

I had a similar problem with an old laptop computer running WinXP. It turned out to be the RAM. I had two memory 'sticks' in it, I took one out and tried it: no difference. Then took the other out and put the first one back in that fixed it.

Once you get into anything old you can find just about anything to be the problem. I just had to advise someone to try the sfc scannow command as well as the likely need for a repair if not completely fresh install on a 5yr. old desktop for his kid.

With 7 on now while RC I still find myself performing a clean install every so many weeks due to problems that come when loading everything onto the system for compatibility issues as well as other potential problems or solutions. If you haven't tried 7 out by now this would be a chance while the Release Candidates are still available for download until the 20th. You're likely going to need to wipe the drive anyways.

Strange but since the recovery console said everything was ok when i ran it on the PC, i put the hdd back into the laptop and it works now. I couldnt even run the recovery console on the laptop. Strange..

Thanks for the tips anyway, guys!

May have been the cable for the drive. Once you unplugged and replugged it back in the contacts were free of any dust or dirt buildup. Older cables can also get stiff and dried out. Good news just the same! :)

Back
Top Bottom