Building a Computer

Matare

Solid State Member
Hello.

Well I am a gamer, but I need a good computer, so I decided to build one. The game I play currently is Starcraft a RTS game, although it requires little computing power the sequel to the game is totally remodeled and will require a lot more specifications, although there is no release date and system requirements, it is obvious that it will require some computing power. Including SC2 there are many other FPS games I would like to play such as COD series, BF series, and the Operation Flashpoint series, So Im looking for a solid computer to run these games well.

So, as of now I have nothing. I have no parts ordered nothing delivered, and nothing spare. I'm starting from scratch and haven't a clue of what to do.

I will start by telling you all that I need help. Hopefully this board will help me build a gaming computer and I can learn from it.

The site I have been working off is newegg.com, its a good site with good deals, but its a little to much for someone as lost as me.

I need a processor, now I know this much about processors Duo and Quad Duo for example if you had a Duo processor you have 3 processors, when one is overworked it switch's to another so in essence, if you have a 2.0 ghz Duo processor you have a 6 ghz processor. Now a quad is the same concept but with 4 processors, so if you had a 2.0 quad processor you have an 8.0 ghz processor, from what I know the processor makes it so the user can multi task, load multiple programs and game all at a high rate depending on the ghz. Which I don't know what the unit Ghz means.

The processors I have been looking at would be these:

AMD Athlon II X2 245 Regor 2.9GHz 2 x 1MB L2 Cache Socket AM3 65W Dual-Core Processor - 67.99

* 4000MHz Hyper Transports...
* 45 nm Regor
* 2 x 1MB L2 Cache

AMD Phenom 9600 Agena 2.3GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 2MB L3 Cache Socket AM2+ 95W Quad-Core Processor - 89.99

# 3600MHz Hyper Transports...
# 65 nm Agena
# 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 2MB

Intel Core2 Duo E7500 Wolfdale 2.93GHz 3MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor - 119.00

# 1066MHz FSB
# 45 nm Wolfdale
# 3MB L2 Cache

Intel Core 2 Duo E7400 Wolfdale 2.8GHz 3MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor - 109.00

* 1066MHz FSB
* 45 nm Wolfdale
* 3MB L2 Cache

As of now I am confused to the part underneath the original Processor name and type theirs this information for example

" 4000MHz Hyper Transports...
45 nm Regor
2 x 1MB L2 Cache "

What does this mean? Is it good? Is it bad? Is this the best out of all 4? Why is it cheaper? Is this a gaming processor?

Many unanswered questions race through my mind at this point. I was hoping someone could shed some light.

Now, with a processor you need a motherboard. The only motherboard company I was told was ASUS, when I went to the site, I was completely clueless to what type of motherboard and all that is needed to for that motherboard, If someone could help me pick a motherboard and tell me what role the motherboard plays into, would be very helpful.

Following the motherboard I need a Graphics card, I haven't really looked into the graphics cards right now, but I need to know what type is the best for my situation and what the numbers mean and the types of series, and what is recommend.

The last thing I will cover for now would be RAM, I don't know how to install RAM or even what exactly it is, I was told I would need at least 4GBs of RAM at minimum.

If the community could help me out it would be greatly appreciated. If you want to contact me directly PM me for my email and we can go from there.

Thank you very much.

Well what is your budget? If you let us know your budget we can help you obtain the parts needed! Let us know how much you are willing to spend!

Out of your list I would say the E7500 is the best.
It is not only Asus, I don't know who told you that.
Gigabyte is good, Asus is good, those are two big ones.

Yes but just give us a budget

I need a processor, now I know this much about processors Duo and Quad Duo for example if you had a Duo processor you have 3 processors, when one is overworked it switch's to another so in essence, if you have a 2.0 ghz Duo processor you have a 6 ghz processor. Now a quad is the same concept but with 4 processors, so if you had a 2.0 quad processor you have an 8.0 ghz processor, from what I know the processor makes it so the user can multi task, load multiple programs and game all at a high rate depending on the ghz. Which I don't know what the unit Ghz means.

o.o

a dual is 2 processors..
and no such thing as quad duo..unless you count those boards that take 2 processors
even then i think it would be called duo quad -.-

I don't think its considered 8ghz..you can't just multiply the cores

just trying to provide some info

Hmm I estimated 200-400, but I have little over a grand to spare

Can you go for around $800? Or is that too much? $800 will bring you the best, not the best of the best, but the best.
You can't really multiply the cores.

I was under the impression of Quad meaning 4 cores in one, meaning if you had a quad CPU with a GHZ speed of 2.5 you would multiply by 4 getting a total ghz speed of 10 ghz.

I can spend around 800.

Right now Im looking for a good quad processor motherboard and graphics card, any Ideas of a good fit? I;m thinking nvidia 9800 series for my graphics card, but I need the CPU to back it up as well as RAM and power supply, with a solid motherboard holding it all together.

Back
Top Bottom