Unexpected shutdowns....yea right.

WhatsMyUserName

Baseband Member
Every time i shutdown my computer(vista HE SP1 x32),everything goes fine.well until gets past the "shutting down computer" screen, then i get a BSOD(bluescreen of death) for about 2 seconds,then instead of shutting down, it restarts and windows reckons it just recovered from an "Unexpected Shutdown". Now i dont know about you ppl, but when you combine your ONLY rig and VISTA, a BSOD scares the crap out of me.Also ever since that happened(3 times now), after about 6 hours of playing, not all of it the internet, my browser craps out and acts like i dont have an internet connection.(browser=google chrome, only because for some unknown reason IE and Firefox crash at startup)Plz help me with this i really dont want to have to format or anything like that and i definitely dont wanna lose my computer, especially because of my brand new bigpond liberty plan and $200 of EVE online subscription. any help would be greatly appreciated.

I hate to tell you this, but you need to blow away your OS and start from scratch. You could literally spend days trying to track down what is causing your machine to blue screen and your apps to crash. You'll probably spend a lot less time if you just start from scratch and reinstall all of your apps.

That does sound like you'll need a reload. There is no way you're going to be able to figure out this issue without too much trouble. It really sounds like there are some corrupt Windows files. If you don't want to reload-you'll have to deal with it.

As far as FF and IE you could update both and see if that fixes the issue.

You could try reinstalling all of your drivers. I doubt it would work though. Just back up your game saves or maybe even the whole install folder, then reformat and slap windows on (go for xp :p ) and put the games back on. Put the backed up folders in another partition or harddrive though lol.

Start > Control Panel > Peformance and Maintenance > System.

Click on the 'Advanced' tab.

Then in the 'Startup and Recovery' box click on Settings.

In the 'System Failure' section un-check the 'Automatically Restart' box.

The navigation might be different for Vista but it should be similar.

This wont cure the problem but next time it BSOD's it will stop on the blue screen. Take down the information on this screen next time it happens.

Back
Top Bottom