HD Partition question

xt3meskater

Beta member
I just recently partitioned my hard drive, added a 60 GB drive for video stuff. This was my first partition and after i finished, it seemed i had magically acquired more free space on my original C drive, although no data appears to be lost (and i remember that at one point, it seemed my drive was appearing more full than i thought it was(i added the space of all the folders in my C drive up and they added up to less than what the C drive said)). although i never knew exactly the size of my Program Files folder was, it seems lower than it should be although every program seems to be running fine. is it possible my HD was just reorganized in a way that makes it have more available space, was data lost, or could i be completely wrong in thinking there is anything iffy with this situation?

Welcome to CF! xt3meskater

It depends on what you mean by adding a 60gb drive. If that was the creation of a second partition on your main drive for storing video files there rather then on the OS primary now a bit smaller in size you should notice less space is being used with those files no longer being present like they were on the former larger single primary.

If you added in a smaller 60gb drive and moved the video files over to there the same end result of less data on the OS primary is still seen. You have more free space on the Host OS drive in that case. :)

Did you add a 60 GB drive and partition it or did you repartition your C: drive adding a 60 GB partition?

i added a second partition on my original c: drive, and i havent copied any files over to the new partition yet

it wasnt that my C drive got bigger, its that what was filling it up seemed to go down in size, but like i said, everything is still running fine...

I personally wouldn't worry about it if everything seems to be working. It's hard to know for sure what happened, but if things are working, then don't get to concerned with it.

At least that's how I feel about things...

I personally wouldn't worry about it if everything seems to be working. It's hard to know for sure what happened, but if things are working, then don't get to concerned with it.

At least that's how I feel about things...

Agreed.

Sometimes a megabyte is considered 1,000,000 bytes. Sometimes it is, more accurately, considered 1,024,000 bytes. I gave up trying to figure things down to the last byte a long time ago. I just want stuff to work.

i added a second partition on my original c: drive, and i havent copied any files over to the new partition yet

it wasnt that my C drive got bigger, its that what was filling it up seemed to go down in size, but like i said, everything is still running fine...

Did you have any scheduled disk cleanup or use a program like CCleaner? Hopefully you didn't inadvertently remove anything you wanted to keep through all this explaining the difference in drive space used.

But like jmacavali pointed out if everything is working well following the resize of the primary without any partition table issues coming up or loss of data you should be all set to start moving files onto the new second partition in order to free up even more space on the C primary.

Back
Top Bottom