Multiple concurrent RDP to a single system

Auara

Beta member
Good Afternoon

I am trying to research this for my boss, but havent had much luck with it.

What he is trying to do is, for lack of a better description, setup a remote desktop server, that will allow multiple clients to remote in to have direct access to our software.

We have well over 500 clients and remote users for this system that may end up connecting.

Now, I have found hacks for Windows XP that increase the multiple concurrent connections, but that only goes to 3. I have looked into a software called ThinStuff, but cant get through the base configuration and cant get any sort of support.

I know we can do what we want to do with a Terminal Server, but he doesnt want to pay for licesnes for each and every person in order to do this. I have also looked into clients like citrix, x2, quest and others, but they all require Ts to run.

Does anyone know of a third party software taht will allow multiple RDP connections to a single system, or does anyone know of another way of doing this?

Anything would be helpfull.

Thanks

I really think you're going to have to go with Terminal Server. I don't know of any other way to have that many concurrent connections.

I'm intersted to find out what others think as well.

Hi,

Have you thought about setting up VPN connections for some of your workers. I don't know what the setup is for your workers looking to RDP in but that would make the most sense to me. I haven't done that yet with my home network but I am thinking about it as I am away from home working at the moment.

Cheers!

i knkow that with VNC on linux you can set up multiple desktops, so you can have say ten distinctly different VNC sessions.

I don't know if this is possible on windows though...

I believe that a better way of going for accessing software on a server would probably be citrix though, not remote desktop connection! but that's not cheap either!!! -you have to buy TS licenses and Citrix licenses, but it's wrth it for the extra functionality and configurability

you could also perhaps try the new windows app server thing, that's like citrix, but cheaper, -though you still have to buy TS licenses, but don't need additional licenses for citrix... but you will need 2008 for this.

one last thing... I can't think of any windows server that will support 500 remote desktop connections.
and if you try that then it'll just run like a dog.

tell your boss it's impossible, he'll need to spend some money, prefereably on a decent citrix farm of machines, that'll allow you to do all kinds of cool things allowing remote desktop from loads of places,

think about whether you really need RDP access, or whether you just need an application to be accessible remotely,
(i.e the user just connects and sees the application screen, not a whole server desktop and can play on the server too).

Terminal Services is what you will need for Windows Server and multiple connections. Our office has a dedi server with Server Intellect that includes TS and we can add as users as needed. Very simple.

it would be simpler just do vpn connections then do the RDP connections.

that doesn't change the fact that the system can still only have 3 concurrent connections and he needs to have 500...

the thinstuff thing that you looked at seems to be the only way to do this...

they have a support email address in this document
http://www.thinstuff.com/releases/folder/README-English.pdf

from what I can gather from that site though, it doesn't just allow unlimited RDP connections, it allows a workstation OS to act like a server,

for example windows XP by default has 1 TS license, you can connect to XP pro via remote desktop, this allows you to make more connections, it seems to be a bit hazy on the instructions about TS licenses though, it says that you have to comply, and suggests that you can buy 3, 5, 10 unlimited etc licenses for the software, but doesn't say why you'd want to do that.

Auara, I think I may have a solution that will help. I have a client that is a CPA that had the same issue with trying to provide services to her clients. We ended up setting her up with a product called EnableME. I can explain more if you would like to get into contact. It sounds like it will do everything you are looking for and the cost is inexpensive.

dscheid, can you say a bit more about this product, who makes it? where is it from?

I just did a quick google search and for ("EnableMe" remote desktop) there are only 23 results, and non seem relevant.

Back
Top Bottom