Connection to modem

chuckshriner

Baseband Member
i have high speed internet through the cable company and i have the modem directly connected to my computer. my computer is frequently loosing connection to the modem for no apparent reason. resetting the modem doesn't fix the problem. and yes, all my cables are plugged in correctly

Some companies have filters you need to put on all your phone lines. You plug the filter into the wall socket and then the phone line into it for every single phone line except the modem one. Do it for your tv's if they have a phone line. I have had to do that before.

If that is not the problem then I am of no help.

Try a different cable between your modem and your computer. It's rare, but it's possible you have a bad cable. Otherwise, I'd call the cable company. Odds are good that it's their modem or the line going to your residence.

Are you loosing the connection between your computer and modem, or are you loosing internet access? Can you ping the modem when you are having trouble?

Did they supply your modem? You may have one that is wrong.
Typically cable companies provide the modems so they can sync service based on the ID of the modem. It's rare for end users to provide their own modem.

Are you loosing the connection between your computer and modem, or are you loosing internet access? Can you ping the modem when you are having trouble?

I didn't think of that. Sending a ping out to like google or Microsoft would be a good idea. If you can ping the modem but not a website, then it's most likely a provider issue.

Original Poster: Fixed yet?

If not post back some of the things you've tried.

Also check the lights on the modem to see if they are going out. If they are staying on but you are unable to get on the internet then we can troubleshoot the computer.

If they are going off when you lose connection, then it is modem and the cable company will need to help you out.

Back
Top Bottom