Windows 7?

purplecadillac1

Beta member
hey my first post here! i have a dell inspiron 6000 running xp and was thinking about putting windows 7 on it? good idea bad idea? and why! thanks

It wouldn't be impossible simply from an OS point of view. 7 will go on a desktop or laptop running less then 512mb of memory for a quick look.

The problems would be seen with no drivers available for video, sound, chipset, etc. where things simply won't run as they would on a normal system. You can look at 7 easy enough but wouldn't see it run like any other normal Windows installation.

You can install 32-bit Windows 7 on a Dell Inspiron 6000 as that is how I am running mine although I do have 2GB or RAM rather than the stock 1GB.

I have installed the 32-bit RC since June and have found no problems. If you install the RC you will probably find that the OS already has all the drivers.

However I did download the 32-bit vista drivers for the Audio, Touch Pad, VGA Adaptor and Wireless. There can be serched for on the US Dell site under the numbers R99254.exe, R140031.exe, R153383.exe and R154405 respectivley.

Note the Touchpad driver does not show compatibility with the 6000 on the web site but installs and works fine.

hey my first post here! i have a dell inspiron 6000 running xp and was thinking about putting windows 7 on it? good idea bad idea? and why! thanks
My initial answer would be a question back - why?! Do you really need it for some reason? Or is it just a case of having the latest offering from Microsoft as oppose to one that was released 7 years ago, despite the latter working just as well and probably being more stable? I know what one I'd choose... :)

You can install 32-bit Windows 7 on a Dell Inspiron 6000 as that is how I am running mine although I do have 2GB or RAM rather than the stock 1GB.

I have installed the 32-bit RC since June and have found no problems. If you install the RC you will probably find that the OS already has all the drivers.

However I did download the 32-bit vista drivers for the Audio, Touch Pad, VGA Adaptor and Wireless. There can be serched for on the US Dell site under the numbers R99254.exe, R140031.exe, R153383.exe and R154405 respectivley.

Note the Touchpad driver does not show compatibility with the 6000 on the web site but installs and works fine.

The thing most needed once you install either flavor(32/64bit) of 7 is drivers for the board, video, sound and others when dealing with any older laptop or desktop. For someone running sata drives the drivers for onboard sata/Raid controllers and other chipset drivers are the most have to plan any long term run of 7.

Some was able to get 7 running with only 64mb on one older desktop for a look while nothing could be added so someone made a reference to. I can point at one article on how 7 ran on a system with 512mb as well as having heard from those with old boats like that having no complaints. http://mintywhite.com/tech/windows-7/windows-seven-7-runs-flawlessly-on-512mb-ram/

7 is a lighter on resources then seen with Vista and even shuts down faster then both XP and Vista alike due to a value found in the registry itself that can lowered down on XP and Vista as well. The main thing however was seeing the lighter load with less unneeded services running the new form of MinWin kernel. http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9043359/Microsoft_shows_off_leaner_kernel_for_Windows_7

Back
Top Bottom