USB & Wireless

Depja

Baseband Member
Is a USB wireless card worse for picking up an internet signal than an internal wireless card? Also I've heard the USB cards get quite hot, is this true?

From my experience, usb seems to be slower than internal network cards.

Is a USB wireless card worse for picking up an internet signal than an internal wireless card? Also I've heard the USB cards get quite hot, is this true?

Depending on the type you are talking about.
(laptop card vs desktop card)

I have a Verizon Novatel USB727, it doesn't get hot.. Maybe a little warm, but not hot.

The answer to both those questions will depend on the wireless interface - those categories are really far too broad to make generalisations. Unless of course you're plugging it into a USB 1.x socket, in which case the internal card will definitely have the advantage..!

I would always go with an internal wireless card vs. usb any day. But that might just be me. I have always found that the cars that go to PCI instead of USB to have that extra zip to it for speed. And i have never heard of USb wireless adapters getting hot but they could.

I'm not so sure here. I've never used an internal card, but am not sure how they could be any faster than a USB card. Both are going to connect to the wireless network at the same speed and I would think that both the PCI slot and the USB port would be able to handle the speed they connect at. Maybe not though...?

I know most people who use USB ones are not computer literate and they have USB 1.0 slots and those will slow you down. While PCI is faster then it like how firewire is.

Back
Top Bottom