Gallery: Cases

Inverted ATX always looks really clean. Plus I think that case is LianLi which makes it even easier.
It's an ABS case, but it's really a rebadged OEM Lian-Li V2000. So yes, it is a Lian-Li, but ABS made some changes to it. Some of the markings on the inside of the case say v2000, and the little box with all of the screws and stuff says V2000 on it. So it's really a V2000, but I bought an ABS Black Pearl. Make sense?

Thanks guys for all of your compliments, I really appreciate them. Keep 'em coming! ;)

Getting creative with the camera I see. :D

Rig looks great, now you just need a new CPU heatsink to top it off.

Getting creative with the camera I see. :D

Rig looks great, now you just need a new CPU heatsink to top it off.
Yeah, I guess. I get pretty good temps with the stock one (this is the best stock AMD fan I have seen...their new athlons and phenom x2's come with crappy ones without heatpipes). I would get a Thermalright or something, but I'm not sure if it would fit. I also want one that actually faces the right way (I know AMD's mounting system doesn't work well with most aftermarket HSFs). It looks so tacky when the fan is blowing air straight down/up as opposed to the back of the case. If you have any suggestions that you know will actually fit, and faces the right way I would be glad to hear them.

PS: Cabbs, thanks for the rep!

If the AMD mounting clip was rotated 90 degrees then every heatsink on the market would sit right. Basically you have to find a heatsink that uses it's own mounting system, I don't know which ones would allow vertical orientation on a AMD system.

The second problem with our case being the divider plate between the motherboard area and the HDD area. Depending on how close the CPU socket is to the bottom, it may be the deciding factor between 92MM and 120MM heatsinks. Luckily, my Thermalright HR-01+ just barely clears the divider plate and allows the use of a 120MM fan, but my TRUE won't fit.

I think I just found a solution to the whole 90' degree problem...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835708047

You replace the stock AMD brackets with this and it then allows you to mount any LGA 775 compatible heatsink to it. Here's a forum post with someone installing a Megahalems on an AM2 socket vertically (using the above product):
http://www.overclock.net/air-cooling/502899-installing-megahalems-am2-socket-photolog.html

I think I may just be able to use ANY Heatinsk (that fits, of course) with this new bracket.

I doubt that I'll be able to fit a 120mm heatsink, although there may be a chance. Take a look at this:
cimg0909j.jpg

As you can see, the center of the CPU fan and the center of the rear exhaust fan (120mm) are about lined up (the angle of the picture kind of messes up what I'm trying to say, but I measured it and everything...). The center of the exhaust fan is about 1cm lower than the center of the cpu fan, and the distance between the bottom of the exhaust fan and the bottom plate that divides the chambers is a little over 2cm (once again, the angle of the photo skews the view and makes my measurements seem unrealistic). So what I'm saying is that I would have no problem fitting a 120mm fan vertically on top of my cpu, so I shouldn't have a problem fitting a 120mm heatsink on top of my cpu.

I explained that really poorly, but I'm saying there's a good chance that a 120mm heatsink will fit.

It seems like a 120MM heatsink will fit. Most of them are a few MM wider than 120MM, but not usually by a lot. My HR-01+ is actually thinner than a 120MM fan. By the looks of it, you should be fine. I'm gonna modify this a little bit: Measure twice, buy once.

Yeah, I'm going to make sure I measure everything I need to, and double check those measurements.

Back
Top Bottom