Power fan question

connect42

Beta member
Hi. I found this forum with a Google search and I am thinking someone here will have some knowledge.
I have a Sony Vaio (model PCV-RS431) that is giving me a BIOS screen when I turn the computer on that alerts me that I have an "abnormal power fan". I can choose the option F1 to boot up and all runs well. I do not hear a fan running inside the computer.

Somebody here might know this:

Do I need to buy a new power fan or a new power supply? My search on Google is inconclusive.

Thanks.

Hi. I found this forum with a Google search and I am thinking someone here will have some knowledge.
I have a Sony Vaio (model PCV-RS431) that is giving me a BIOS screen when I turn the computer on that alerts me that I have an "abnormal power fan". I can choose the option F1 to boot up and all runs well. I do not hear a fan running inside the computer.

Somebody here might know this:

Do I need to buy a new power fan or a new power supply? My search on Google is inconclusive.

Thanks.

Is the fan in question the fan for the CPU or the fan in the power supply? If the error is associated with the power supply, then get a new power supply.

If the fan in question is for the cpu, I would say your power supply is ok because after you boot, all is normal. Take the cover off and see if the fan is running. If not, then get a new fan.

Just my 2 rubles! :)

Ahh Yes!

Larisa is right! I Always assume sony vaio's are laptop and forget that they made desktops too (They never released them here in australia).So yeah if its the Processor or case fan,replace the fan.If it's the Power supply fan,replace the power supply.

Usually there are at least TWO fans in a computer.
One is on the power supply, and one is on the CPU.
There are also case fans, but you might not have those.
It is very abnormal not to hear a fan running (But you might just have good silent fans, you never know)
You should check which fan is running, and which is not.
It would be very helpful if you could unplug everything out of your computer, pull the computer out of where you have it, pull the side off, and plug the power cord in and turn it on. (Don't worry this is perfectly safe)
See which, if any fans are running, because if they are not running it is very damaging to your computer.
Here is some troubleshooting.
If the CPU fan is not working, check to make sure it's plugged in (Stupid I know, but always check)
If that fails, just go for a new fan, it's like $20.
Another thing, not all computers have a fan directly ABOVE the CPU.
My computer has a fan that comes from the front, and has a tube that goes to the CPU.
If the Power Supply fan is not working, this is also bad for your computer, and don't fix the fan, try to get a new power supply.
When you do get your power supply, try not to get a cheap one, they are often overlooked in computers, but they are what brings the system together, if that is cheap, everything else will work like it's cheap, no matter how good the system. :)

Thanks everybody! I will do some investigating today.

Tell us what fans are working and which ones aren't.
Heck if you wanted to make a video where you hit the power button and show us the motherboard and stuff, showing us the fans and what works and what doesn't. (This isn't necessary, but you have to at least tell us what works and what doesn't.

When you do get your power supply, try not to get a cheap one, they are often overlooked in computers, but they are what brings the system together, if that is cheap, everything else will work like it's cheap, no matter how good the system.
To expand on this a bit, you'll need to get one with the same (or more) power rating as the original - this will be printed as watts on the side of the supply. Cheaper supplies are best ignored because if they give out on you suddenly they've got the potential to wreck everything connected to them, CPU, motherboard and all. Not nice!

To expand on this a bit, you'll need to get one with the same (or more) power rating as the original - this will be printed as watts on the side of the supply. Cheaper supplies are best ignored because if they give out on you suddenly they've got the potential to wreck everything connected to them, CPU, motherboard and all. Not nice!

Definitely true. It's the one thing you really don't want to skimp out on.

Even if the fans are spinning, they might not be spinning fast enough, causing the motherboard to see it as a faulty fan. With the computer off, try spinning the fan(s) with your fingers to see if the fan(s) spin freely. If they don't, it's time for new fans.

Back
Top Bottom