PCI-e retainer blues <> Just ranting

setishock

Wizard of Wires
Ok your vid card's in and craps out. Your mother board is in the case and all your goodies are installed. What junior rocket scientist designed that retainer clip? How in the hell are you supposed to get to that to get the card back out?

Notice the handle for the clip is right above a filter cap. There is 0 room for error.

picture.php

This is looking down the memory card slots. You can make part of it out just past the end of the yellow slot on the right.

picture.php

From over the top of the CPU socket.

picture.php

It's got a firm grip on the board.

picture.php

Yes this is a crummy picture but if you look at the red circle with the left pointing arrow, you see part of the problem. The black cap outlined in yellow is the main issue. If whatever you use to push back the clip should happed to slip you could kill your motherboard.

picture.php

I pushed it out of the way with a ball point pen with the point retracted. But let me tell ya my heart was in my mouth right up to the time the card came free. If my mother board had been installed, that would have been a major operation.

How do you guys get that clip out of the way to get the card back out? Just courious...

Evga Must have designed a proprietary PCI-E clip for their boards. Mine seems to look different than yours

evga_680i_12_thumb.jpg

Back
Top Bottom