Cash for Clunkers...

EDIT: About global warming...as mentioned in the post above. I have a question to ask those who are gung-ho Al Gore followers on global warming. You (the Al Gore followers) say that carbon waste is a huge cause of global warming, but look at mars. Why are it's Ice caps melting if it has no carbon?

I do believe we might have something to do with the o-zone layer, but I don't think we are effecting global warming, that is the earth taking care of itself. From what I understand, the O-zone layer does not protect us from heat at all, it simply blocks harmful UV rays, which helps us from getting cancers and other sort of things.

You answered your question about mars on the next paragraph. The Ozone layer keeps us from being like Mars. There would be no life without the Ozone layer...at least no human life.

As far as "Cash for Clunkers", I fail to see how you DON'T benefit from it. You're getting a good discount on a brand new car that will save you money for gas and has better technology to make life more comfortable for it. After all...you don't plan you driving that Pontiac forever do you?

^
I know the o-zone layer protects us for living, but I was refering to the fact that the ice caps are melting on mars too without our carbon emissions, so I am supporting that humans are not the cause for global warming.

And as for "cash for clunkers", I am going to end up spending as much money if not more if I get a new car. Sure, I'll get better gas mileage, but my car doesn't have monthly payments. If you get a new car with the mindset of having much better gas mileage, then you wont be trying as hard to save your gas. For example, if person A has an old car with lower gas mileage, person A might want to try and make fewer trips to the grocery store so that he/she is not spending extra money on gas, so he will make single trips buying more at once. However, if person A gets a new, fuel efficient car, then person A is likely to have the mindset of "why wait until my next trip to pick up some more butter? I have a fuel efficient car now, I can make more trips." With that mindset, he/she will likely use as much or more gas than with the older car.

Ontop of all this, I am using everyone elses money to help buy my new car, not my own. That 4k+ money you get for your car is payed for by the tax payers, not the Congress money tree, which does exist I know it must!

^
I know the o-zone layer protects us for living, but I was refering to the fact that the ice caps are melting on mars too without our carbon emissions, so I am supporting that humans are not the cause for global warming.

Didn't you read the part where I said that Earth DOES have its thermal cycle and it currently is going through its warming phase? I'm just saying our carbon emissions can add to that.

^
I was not attacking you when I said that directly. That is why I put a strong emphasis on Al Gore followers, unless you are an Al Gore follower, then yes, I am attacking you :p I didn't argue that you felt that the Earth did not have a thermal cycle. I just feel that our presence does not effect it. The O-zone layer? perhaps, and most likely, but not so much the thermal cycle...

^
I was not attacking you when I said that directly. That is why I put a strong emphasis on Al Gore followers, unless you are an Al Gore follower, then yes, I am attacking you :p I didn't argue that you felt that the Earth did not have a thermal cycle. I just feel that our presence does not effect it. The O-zone layer? perhaps, and most likely, but not so much the thermal cycle...

I'm not attacking you back either :p It's just that I love to argue. I'm not going to lie when I say I'm ignorant about Al Gore's intentions. My true beliefs were stated a couple posts above. Global Warming is a seriously possible and we need to act now in order to prevent it tomorrow. Some of you elder members may not care as much but I still have a good 60+ years (if I goes according to plan) on this planet and I want them no worse than how I live today.

^ gratz on 2,500 posts.

Dude...you just ruined the flow of the argument.

Haha, thanks grant, but the flow!!! :p

@joga: I am also a large fan of debate (if you didn't notice :p) Unfortunately, not to spill the beans on you, but there isn't much if anything we can do about global warming to stop it. Instead of trying to stop it, I think we should be looking more for solutions to adapt to it. I am also young, and hope to live a long, happy life, but there is no way we can prevent what is already happening, and what is natural for the earth anyway. I am sure that humans/us will find ways to adapt. We're a smart race, and have been able to get through tough stuff before, we just don't show it as much until we are under pressure.

@joga: I am also a large fan of debate (if you didn't notice :p) Unfortunately, not to spill the beans on you, but there isn't much if anything we can do about global warming to stop it. Instead of trying to stop it, I think we should be looking more for solutions to adapt to it. I am also young, and hope to live a long, happy life, but there is no way we can prevent what is already happening, and what is natural for the earth anyway. I am sure that humans/us will find ways to adapt. We're a smart race, and have been able to get through tough stuff before, we just don't show it as much until we are under pressure.[/QUOTE]

Definitely. There's no way we'll get carbon emissions to go to 0 or keep the Earth's temperature from increasing (as this is natural). All I'm saying is that we need to make sure we don't end up contributing to these events because then we'll be a catalyst to our own end.

We wont die from it, we'll adapt, but I can respect trying to lower emissions. However, I don't agree with they way they are going at it is all.

We wont die from it, we'll adapt, but I can respect trying to lower emissions. However, I don't agree with they way they are going at it is all.

Carbon emissions from vehicles will be lowered eminently. As time passes currently "clunkers" will stop running and people will have to buy new cars which will have the more friendly technology. What the current administration is doing is an attempt to speed this up. I don't see what is wrong with the program. They're not forcing you to sell your cars. The money spent on this program adds yet another incentive for people to start buying cars (which therefore jump starts the car market).

Back
Top Bottom