Running out of RAM

CarpeNoctem

Daemon Poster
Autodesk AutoCAD Error

Hello,

I have a computer with 4 gigs of memory (2.75 available due to 1 gig GPU/graphics card and BIOS)

I use this computer for AutoCAD and 3D Rendering of CAD drawings. When my drawings get too large, or when I render, I always get an error that says I'm running out of memory. Task manager claims my system is only using 1.06 gigs of memory (remember I have 2.75 gigs available). The two programs themselves are using 700-900 Megs of memory when I get the error. I am pretty sure that 32-bit windows will not allow a single program to use more than 1 gig of memory. Can someone please correct or verify this information?

I THINK this is because of the memory allocation that I described above, but I'm not sure. (windows only allowing a program to use a maximum of 1 gig of memory) Does anyone know if there is a registry edit that can raise the memory cap? (Cap meaning windows allowing a single program to use no more than 1 gig of memory) IF it exists lol. The only other thing I can think of is to get a smaller GPU.

Here are screenshots of the error and process/performance tabs in task manager. As you can see the total memory used is 1.09 and Roamer.exe is using 700 megs of memory.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v503/Zyos/error.jpg Task manager even says I have 1.6 gigs not being used. I should not be getting this error.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v503/Zyos/error2.jpg

The program is roamer.exe in the process manager.

Thank you in advanced!

OK, I've never heard of what you are referring to, nor do I have any idea what you are talking about with the 1 gig CPU, but you should get a 64 bit OS, and then it could use all the RAM, the cut is due to having 32, and there is no way to raise it.

There's virtual memory if that's what u mean (Right click on My computer>properties>Advanced>Performance settings>Advanced>Virtual Memory change)

Virtual memory is at 12 gigs and the 1 gig device was for the graphics card (GPU) not the CPU.

The programs the general contractors use on my job are not compatible with 64 bit windows.

Sorry but, it's not going to be that easy lol

*EDIT*
Oh yeah, I am not wanting to use more memory. There is over 1 gig of memory free for XP to use. It recognizes all 4 gigs but BIOS automatically uses 256 megs, and the graphics card uses 1 gig. I have 2.75 gigs of memory available, and it is telling me i need more memory when it is using 1.06 gigs of memory total, leaving 1.69 gigs free. Which makes me believe the memory cap story.

Supposedly a single program can't use more than 1 gig at a time, which is my problem. I heard this in an AutoCAD forum and the thread has long been deleted to tell me a registry change to allow programs to use more than 1 gig. I also saw it elsewhere on the internet, but not instructions

Well, then I am just as confused as you.
Shouldn't any 32 bit program work in the 64 bit OS?
and I still dont know what you are talking about with the 1gb/program. Are you sure about this?

No I am not sure, one of the things I need clarification on. But also, if it is untrue, I still have no explanation why I am running out of memory when I have 1.6 gigs of memory free

Windows is designed to, but when I go to install the program on 64-bit windows, the installer won't let me. I have 64-bit AutoCAD and Navis (render program), but I also use 3rd party tools and plugins, which will not install on 64 :(

This is the result of construction companies not knowing shit about computers and using old software. And I have to use the same software to run pipe as they use. It's only one general contractor too, I have to dual boot to work on jobs who are up to date with their technology.

Back
Top Bottom