First time Overclock

Holysky

Fully Optimized
Might as well put this to good use!

So i am going to try to overclock my E6600. Is there anything i need to know before i start? I already have good thermal paste and a awesome heatsink.

I also want to attempt to overclock my 4670 when it comes in the mail.

It depends.

How much do you already know about overclocking, and have you ever done it before.

I think I'll step aside after this post and let Grantofhell take care of this one :D

OK, you plan to do BIOS overclocking, right?
You should be able to just bump the multiplier for small OC's.
Try that and see how it goes. I'm not sure what the cap is though, as I use unlocked AMD CPU's.
Start very small, just to see how it goes.

There are many things that act as significant factors during the process of OverClocking. I would say that the biggest thing newbies overlook is the fact that OverClocking does not involve only your CPU. To get the best results it is critical that all your parts are in great condition. To give an idea, your PSU could cause an OverClock to go faulty if it can't power everything up. Although rare, very possible. I would have to say that for Speed OverClocking (aka CPU), the 3 most important parts are the motherboard, the RAM, and, of course, the CPU. The CPU and the RAM work together at all times (communicating through the motherboard). You won't get a true CPU OverClock if your RAM can't keep up. So it is ideal for your RAM to be OverClocked with your CPU. To minimize the potential of a RAM bottleneck, it is usually best to buy RAM that runs faster than your CPU so when you OverClock you won't have to worry about OverClocking your RAM.

I'm in a bit of a hurry so I can't go into full details, but that should be a good overview.
If you can post your specs I can give you the best idea of where to start.

Back
Top Bottom