Error joining a client to the domain.

cboucher

Fully Optimized
I keep getting this error when trying to join a particular Vista client to our domain:

"An error occurred when DNS was queried for the service location (SRV) resource record used to locate an Active Directory Domain Controller for domain ourdomain.com.

The error was: "No records found for given DNS query."
(error code 0x0000251D DNS_INFO_NO_RECORDS)

The query was for the SRV record for _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.ourdomain.com

For more information, click Help."

I've tried changing the IP address to a different reserved address, tried a static IP/DNS settings, updated NIC drivers, etc.

I am able to ping our DNS server (which is also our DC) and nslookup sees it as normal. I have joined other PCs to the domain no problem. The issue seems to be with just this one PC.

Any ideas?

you have a reserved address in DHCP for all your w/s's ?
I assume you have an AD ? ...and DNS?
How are you joining the computer to the domain?

you have a reserved address in DHCP for all your w/s's ?
I assume you have an AD ? ...and DNS?
How are you joining the computer to the domain?

Yes, reserved IPs in DHCP for all PCs. AD and DNS both run from the DC. The method I use to join the domain is: System Properties>Computer Name>Change...

That is not what reserved ip address is for. My understanding of reservations in DHCP is for any device you do not want the IP address to change...for instance a network printer, server,gateway etc.. Yes you could put workstations in there, there is no need to.. maybe since there are no ip addresses to release and renew DHCP is backed up or something and it is effecting the DNS. At work sometimes when we have trouble joining a workstation to a domain, we join the affected workstation to a make beleive workgroup, then reboot , then join it to the domain...sometimes we have to find the workstaion in the AD and delete and recreate, then rejoin.
In my home network, the only reservations I have are for my DNS server, My win 2003 server and my ISA SERVER

This is a work network I'm dealing with. Already tried deleting the computer object from AD. It's possible that one of the engineers here did something cute, but so far I haven't been able to find it.

Back
Top Bottom