how high can i turn up my speakers?

Calibound88

Daemon Poster
just bought these

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16836121006

cuz my last pair of speakers blew out on me. (cleaning the computer one day and accidentally turned it up all the way :( )

im not trying to push the limits of my speaker, but i wanna know if its safe to turn it up all the way in case something like that happens again, or if my roomate is being stupid.

im just thinking if speakers cant handle max volume why would logitec make an option for that?

these speakers dont really have a good medium. the first 25% there is no volume, but then it jumps up like crazy. around 40%, my desk is trembling from the bass and i feel like they're gonna explode

every set of speakers / stereo system i have ever had have always been able to reach there max volume, alot fo the time, espcially if they are cheap, it will sound distorted at max volume but aslong as you are not mixing and matching diff levels of kit, just using what you bought with the speakers then they should always be able to be turned right up.

I would keep it under the point where you start to hear distortion in any of the speakers or the sub.

I wouldn't turn the dial past 12 o'clock. That's usually the safest point, right before things start to distort. As always, your mileage may vary.

As a general rule, if it sounds like crap, turn it down.

every set of speakers / stereo system i have ever had have always been able to reach there max volume, alot fo the time, espcially if they are cheap, it will sound distorted at max volume but aslong as you are not mixing and matching diff levels of kit, just using what you bought with the speakers then they should always be able to be turned right up.

No, not really.

well i havent really setup the speakers in a surround sound style yet. all the speakers are right here on my desk.

If i turn it past 50%, its really really loud (maybe cuz there are 5 speakers 1 feet away from my head) but i hear no distortion. Just very very loud music

Like I said, your mileage may vary. You always want to leave enough headroom so your amplifier can safely cover any peaks that you could experience.

The "volume" control on the front of most speakers is actually usually the attenuation control for the amp, and as such without some form of limiter there (decent ones are expensive!) there physically can't be any limit. They'll usually work by cutting the signal by a given amount - at the full right hand position it'll be cut by 0, at the full left it'll be cut by (near enough) infinity. This means that given a strong enough input source you can reach full volume on quite a low setting - but obviously fire this input at it when it's turned all the way up and it'll complain. Loudly. This will be the same with pretty much anything out there though, and unless you want to get some form of limiter (there might be software ones out there I guess but I've never looked into it myself) there's not a lot you can do on the hardware side.

Unless the sound card has a true line out (which I have not seen), where the speakers handle the volume on their own, the sound card settings on the computer also control Bass/Treble & Volume, so its not just your speakers volume control you have to worry about.

If the one in Windows is at around 50% (stops distortion), with Bass on full and treble on full, and then you turn your speakers right up, your going to get 50% extra juice thrown into the speakers, especially if the bass is set on the sub to a high setting too.

Back
Top Bottom