submerged PC

Not all fans will last though. In college we did a mineral oil setup with a Pentium 3 machine and the fan lasted a week before giving out. Although it was the Intel Stock fan...maybe thats why? We replaced with another aftermarket fan from Zalman and it was awesome....for a about 3 weeks. That one gave out too. We had a pump and used it to pump out the warm oil, then it went through an air cooled pipe system, then back into the aquarium to keep the temps low. It worked great! We overclocked the P3 pretty high...not sure if I remember but it was like, 1.6Ghz or so and it never broke 40c!

A motherboard tray to hold your motherboard? Are you just going to glue it to the side wall or keep it flat at the bottom?

A motherboard tray to hold your motherboard? Are you just going to glue it to the side wall or keep it flat at the bottom?

Bottom. I'm actually starting to rethink this. After I do this, I think I'm going to actually make a case with a radiator to further this idea. The only problem is, if I were to make a vertical ATX or mid ATX case, the amount of pressure on the sides (I would use plexiglass of course :p) would be tremendous. So I was thinking I would make it horizontally, but the same size as a mid ATX case. Still not sure about it though :p

I'm not sure the fans will like being run submerged in oil, however good they are. They'll probably be ok for a while, but since oil is a lot more viscous than water you'll be putting much more strain on them than they were designed for, so I really wouldn't be surprised if they burnt out and packed up in a while!

Oh yeah I forgot to mention.
Use cell cast acrylic, NOT EXTRUDED!!!!
This is very important if it will be holding back any liquid, as extruded has a tendency to be flawed, which can cause it to break later on.

I'm not sure the fans will like being run submerged in oil, however good they are. They'll probably be ok for a while, but since oil is a lot more viscous than water you'll be putting much more strain on them than they were designed for, so I really wouldn't be surprised if they burnt out and packed up in a while!
Nah, people have run machines in mineral oil for excess of a year without the fans even slowing down.
Oh yeah I forgot to mention.
Use cell cast acrylic, NOT EXTRUDED!!!!
This is very important if it will be holding back any liquid, as extruded has a tendency to be flawed, which can cause it to break later on.
Will do :D
Just don't use ultra-thin plexiglass and it will be fine.
People use it to build very large aquariums all the time.

It's the joints that I'm worried about ;)

You will have to use silicon sealant on the inside, with acrylic glue, and some form of frame at the top and bottom, and it ill be fine.

Actually, the frame isn't 100% necessary, but I'd recommend it.

Back
Top Bottom