Uninstall Windows Vista

If you are trying to avoid a reformat of the drive you select the custom option not upgrade when running the installer when booted from the disk itself. If you had selected the upgrade option that would immediately run into the incompatibility error.

The custom install option is what you want. That will see the existing MS Windows, Program Files, users folders rolled up into the Windows.old folder and create brand new ones for the 64bit 7 installation. From there you simply save any files you want out of the Windows.old before sending it on it's way. It will still large in size so start deleting things on the inside to lighted it up.

When you install Vista 64, it will give you the option to delete the current partition, and then you can reformat the drive and install the new OS.

That pretty much sums it up.

You can't really uninstall an operating system, you have to delete it if you can't upgrade. If you have a old hard drive with nothing important on it, you could swap it with your current drive and install on it. If you have problem, you can swap the original back with no harm done. An extra experimental drive would give you the opportunity to learn the details of installing the operating system without risking your current operating system. This is something that you have to decide for yourself.

I love experimenting with operating systems and usually install and reinstall an operating system, or even multiple operating systems many times before settling on the one I actually end up using long term.

Well for some reason it decided to boot correctly. I got the new vista installed but it won't connect to the Internet. It says I don't have a network adapter. What file am I missing and where can I get it?

My pc says I have a "Local Area Connection" but it won't connect to the Internet. I try to use the diagnose/repair feature but that doesn't coreect the problem.

It says I have a connection but it looks like it is saying I don't have "access" to "Local and Internet". I have Broardband, maybe it wants me to set uo a broardband connection? If so, it asks me for a username and password from my ISP. Do I put in 2wire for the username and the number on the router? I tried that and it didn't work.

I know the Internet is working because I am using it now for my laptop.

Okay found the problem. For some reason after I installed Vista, it defaulted to the "work offline" mode. After I chnaged the setting, everything works!

Maybe I'm too blonde after all! :)

Is that 2Wire wireless or dsl? With an ethernet connection you select the home network option when the Windows installation is just finishing up rather then workplace or public.

For ethernet the only drivers generally needed are those for the onboard Lan or nic card used. None needed for the modem.

Back
Top Bottom