E5200 or E7400?

MooseMan1

Fully Optimized
I have a delima in which I hope my fellow members here can help me decide. I am researching and deciding on parts for the new computer for the family, and I am not sure which processor to go with here. When I was first going through my research, I picked out the C2D E7400. I think it would suit the needs very well for a family computer, but I was hoping for something cheaper. Later on as I was looking through Intel's processors. I found that I had the option of the less powerful, but cheaper E5200. Here is where my delima sets in. The computer will be used for web browsing, e-mail checking, and some music programs. I don't expect the system to really undergo a whole lot of multitasking or stress, but I want the computer's upgrades to last a long time. I plan to be running Windows 7 on the build. So, if you would be so kind, please vote and post your processor of choice, and what you think makes it the best candidate :D For your convince , since you are doing me a favor, I've listed the specs of each below, and a link to newegg's page.

First, the less expensive of the two:
Intel Core 2 Duo E5200 @ $65.99
Core: Wolfdale
Operating Frequency: 2.5GHz
FSB: 800MHz
L2 Cache: 2MB
Manufacturing Tech: 45 nm
Newegg page: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116072

Secondly, the more expensive, but more powerful:
Intel Core 2 Duo E7400 @ 109.99
Core: Wolfdale
Operating Frequency: 2.8GHz
FSB: 1066MHz
L2 Cache: 3MB
Manufacturing Tech: 45 nm
Newegg page: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115206

I will again stress that budget is as low as possible, yet if it's worth the extra money say so. The E7400 costs $44 more.

Again thanks to all those who give a helpful opinion :D

I would try to hold out for Labor Day if you can.
There will probably be big sales and you will be able to get the E7400 for a little more then the price of the E5200 now.
Unless of course you need it now.

I would go for the E5200 if it's just for everyday use.

^
Well Holysky I don't plan to overclock this unit. It is going to be on a 400w power supply, and I want it to run as cool and power friendly as possible.

@whyfly: I don't need these parts immediately, so I might consider holding out until the sales. However, I would still like to get everyone's opinions of the two processors and their value for the situation :D

The E7400 will run cooler for sure, but you shouldn't have any heating problems with any modern CPU that is not oc'ed

I'm pretty sure they would run about the same temps as they are both 45 nm.

Maybe a few degrees celcius

Not worth it if you want it to run cooler. Just pick up the 5200

Back
Top Bottom