Would you recommend keeping gpu fan @ 100%

Calibound88

Daemon Poster
just wondering if it is beneficial to keep the gpu fan going at 90-100% all day.

are there any noticeable long term negative effects?

I would say that it depends upon your situation. I consider the noise the biggest downside to leaving the fans at 100 percent. My Intel motherboard, with the fan control set to auto runs the fans too slow in my opinion. The CPU fan doesn't start speeding up until the cores reach 70C. A little to high for me. So, I have the fan speeds set manually at about 75 to 85 percent. The core temp stay lower and I'm happy. A little more noise, but not as much as 100%. If noise wasn't a factor, I would run the fans at 100%.

Depends on the fan itself and the temps you're getting. Chances are it's the stock fan, which is usually a small blower-style fan, which get really loud. I'd turn it up to the point where you have a good compromise between noise and temperature.

If you're going for a 3DMark high score, then it does make sense to keep the fan at 100% and have the card overclocked as high as pos. But for general use, assuming your GPU temps are fine (under ~100c), then there's no point.

just wondering if it is beneficial to keep the gpu fan going at 90-100% all day.

are there any noticeable long term negative effects?
What are your gpu temps with your fan at say.....50-60%? If you have to have your gpu fan at 100% to keep your temps in a decent range, then I'd say it's time to upgrade your gpu fan. You should never have to run it at 100% unless it's under high load.

if it's at 50% temps idle around 70

if its at 90 + temps idle around 60

but the thing is that 8800gtx's naturally run hot....

Back
Top Bottom