Blew up my transmission...i think

borat_sagdiyev

Golden Master
So i was driving my fiat 126p today (manual transmission) and i was starting to move it in first gear, and then when shifting to 2nd gear, the whole tranny messes up and makes a loud grinding noise and the car won't move anywhere now, in either all the forward gears or the reverse. Any idea on what could've happened? The grinding noise happens when you let go of the clutch and put down the gas pedal.

The syncros could be gone. Can you get first gear to engage at all?

yea it engages no problem, but when i start to add gas when the clutch is not pressed, it grinds constantly and the car doesnt move.

Oh, and its a rear wheel drive car with the engine in the back, if that makes any difference.

Snapped drive-shaft/half-shaft.

I'm 99% sure one of your drive-shafts/half-shafts has snapped in two.

Have a look underneath and check them both out. You'll see them coming from either side of the diff. going to the centre of each wheel.

I had a Rover 216 many years ago that I was selling the next day and the same thing happened to me as I came up to a roundabout.

The car won't move if one of these goes. And the grinding noise is the broken half that's connected to the diff. turning - at double the speed - and rubbing on probably the wishbone or another suspension part.

Me and my brother had to pop a new one in before dark ready for the next day.

I had a Rover 216 many years ago that I was selling the next day and the same thing happened to me as I came up to a roundabout.

The car won't move if one of these goes. And the grinding noise is the broken half that's connected to the diff. turning - at double the speed - and rubbing on probably the wishbone or another suspension part.

Me and my brother had to pop a new one in before dark ready for the next day.

Well my grandpa is friends with a mechanic and a guy who owns a junkyard so hopefully we can get it going again tomorrow since i want to still drive this thing around before i leave for canada on friday.

That happened to me when my cruddy peugeot gearbox gave up.. when it happened to me i had 1st and 3rd and that was all, second, fourth, fifth and reverse gave a horrible grinding noise..

Back
Top Bottom