duel 4GB RAM?

tha17

Baseband Member
i have 2 GB RAM already in my computer...here are the specs.

Manufacturer:
Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
Processor:
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU 6420 @ 2.13GHz (2 CPUs)
Memory:
2046MB RAM
Hard Drive:
250 GB
Video Card:
NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS
Sound Card:
Realtek HD Audio output
Operating System:
Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 3 (2600.xpsp_sp3_gdr.090206-1234)
Motherboard:
Gigabyte

i want to put 2 more GB of ram into my computer.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231098&Tpk=f2-6400cl5d-2gbnq

that is the exact same ram i have currently inside my computer.

also here is my motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128017R

so...
Would this be a good upgrade?
is everything compatible?
when i install the 2 GB of ram...do i just plug them into the slots and turn the computer on?????

as u can see i have never done duel memory before :p

PLEASE
give ur opinions and thanks in advanced for ALL your guys help!

Before doing ANYTHING go to Start Panel go to "Run" and type in sysdm.cpl and click ok. See what it says if it says Home Edition x64 the RAM will be useful if it just says Home Edition it won't read 4 gigs of RAM so you're wasting money.
Another way is control panel and then system.

You turn off the power, pop off the case and you put it in until you hear that clicking sound where the two "Holders" go into place.
You then fire her up and a screen will pop up saying "Memory detected, 2 gigabytes, total 4 gigabytes" or around those lines. And now you are good to go.

You should be fine as long as you have the 64-bit version of XP. I just bought that same set (I also already have that set) to make 4gb. If you don't have the 64-bit version of XP, it will only read 3.2 gb (or something like that).

you also could make a ram disk from the ram that is not accessed by the 32bit OS and make your pagesys and IE cache run from it.

Before doing ANYTHING go to Start Panel go to "Run" and type in sysdm.cpl and click ok. See what it says if it says Home Edition x64 the RAM will be useful if it just says Home Edition it won't read 4 gigs of RAM so you're wasting money.
Another way is control panel and then system.

You turn off the power, pop off the case and you put it in until you hear that clicking sound where the two "Holders" go into place.
You then fire her up and a screen will pop up saying "Memory detected, 2 gigabytes, total 4 gigabytes" or around those lines. And now you are good to go.

It will read 4gb.

It just wont read anything *over* 4gb :D

a 32 bit OS can "read" all of the memory (4GBs), it just won't be able to address all of it because it can only address 4GBs, some of that addressable space is used by various system resources and devices, video cards, sound cards, etc., therefore windows only shows the amount of memory it can address after those resources take their share, if your video card is of the 1GB variety you won't even be able to address 3GBs, only 2.xxGBs of memory will show up...

that's why people don't always have the same amount of memory of their installed 4GBs show up on their 32 bit systems, people's systems are different, generally video cards take up the biggest chunk of addressable space out of the 4GBs, so people with 256MB - 1GB will all have differing amounts of memory show up, the people with 256MB video cards will have the closest to 4GBs and the people with 1Gb cards will have the least amount of memory show up...

ya...i have windows home edition 32bit :[

so should i upgrade RAM still or maybe try to get a 64bit OS.

btw thanks for all the replies :p

I would still upgrade to 3gb, or just get vista 64 bit, then you can upgrade to win7 for free :D

Or, if you don't have the money now, you could always buy the ram now, use the 3.x gb now, and then when you can afford it, buy the OS.

ya...i have windows home edition 32bit :[

so should i upgrade RAM still or maybe try to get a 64bit OS.

btw thanks for all the replies :p

Go for 4 gigs, because three isn't a "Dual Channel" Number if you know what I mean.
When you fill your slots they will be running in "Dual Channel"
As others have mentioned, I see you have a 8800 in there, so that will take some RAM away, so the 32 bit could still use all the RAM the card didn't use, so go for it!
Try to save up for Vista 64 bit though.

Go for 4 gigs, because three isn't a "Dual Channel" Number if you know what I mean.
When you fill your slots they will be running in "Dual Channel"
As others have mentioned, I see you have a 8800 in there, so that will take some RAM away, so the 32 bit could still use all the RAM the card didn't use, so go for it!
Try to save up for Vista 64 bit though.

yes, go for 4GBs, you should still be able to run 3.XXGBs of RAM which is still better than just 3GBs, every little bit of RAM helps, even if it only comes out to 200 or 300MBs more, 3.2 or 3.3 GBs of RAM > 3 GBs...

Back
Top Bottom