computer won't start hdd light stays on

mikee

Fully Optimized
We just had a power outage due to a thunderstorm and now my dads computer (p4 2.66ghz 1gb ram geforce fx 5500 80gb hdd) just sits there with the hdd light on and nothing else happens. nothing even comes up on the monitor. You have to hold the power button in for 5 seconds to shut it off.

Any ideas??

Took a strike. Try unplugging it from the wall then hold down the power button for several seconds. Let it sit for bit maybe an hour or so to let the caps in the PSU drain off completely.
Then open the case and set the cmos jump to the reset position. Wait about 5 minutes then put it back. Plug in to the wall again and boot up.
If it doesn't boot then it's something other than the bios got scrambled.
I know this is hindsight but in a thunder storm take no chances. Turn off your computer and disconnect it from AC and internet connections. And unplug any power to devices such as monitors that are connected to it.
Lightning is a funny critter. It can find a path you didn't think about and POOF your baby is dust.

I don't know where the cmos jumper is but does taking the cmos battery out do the same thing?

Back
Top Bottom