Triple Core??

Depja

Baseband Member
Why are triple core computers almost never talked about? There are always dual core and quad core, but it seems they passed over triple core. Why is this?:confused:

I would assume mostly because when AMD released triple cores, Intel released something that got much more attention, so it never really had a chance to be in the limelight. That would be my guess. Plus, until the release of the PII, I don't think that AMD really had much that competed with Intel's stuff...

The triple core Phenom II is really nothing more than a quad with a faulty core. I have the X3 720 BE. It's a nice performing chip and easily overclockable. Some have even been successful at unlocking the fourth core on certain motherboards.

Yea, but it's good marketing. Why toss a perfectly good CPU when you can sell it and make a profit. It sells for a nice price and fills the gap between those wanting a multicore CPU with good performance that can't afford the high end quads. :D

Yea, but it's good marketing. Why toss a perfectly good CPU when you can sell it and make a profit. It sells for a nice price and fills the gap between those wanting a multicore CPU with good performance that can't afford the high end quads. :D

Very true. But IMO, there really isn't much need for anything more then a dual core, as there really isn't anything that's fully optimized for 2 cores and has a near 2x performance increase with it.

Wow, never knew any of that. Are the triple cores at all faster than the duals?

Eh, I don't know that I really agree. There are a lot of programs out there that utilize 4 cores. Not nearly as many as dual core, but still a significant amount. I notice a large difference between dual and quad core performance.

Yeah, im using a quad core comp and it is much faster than my dual core one.

Yeah, im using a quad core comp and it is much faster than my dual core one.
Well the amount of cores doesn't have everything to do with the performance difference between the two computers, there are several other factors that determine the performance (ex. clock speed, L2 cache, amount of ram, speed of ram, etc. etc.). Essentially you're comparing apples to oranges.

Back
Top Bottom