Linux or XP?

Depja

Baseband Member
Hello, I have a Dell Optiplex GX270 compact computer with windows XP installed on it. I plan to use the computer for internet surfing, word processing, and maybe some light gaming. Should I install Linux on it? BTW this is my first post.:D

I would go for linux. There are a lot of games that will run on linux. There wont run in thier native form with the linux kernel but there a few program that you can get that will allow them to run.

Cheers!

Even if you do manage to get windows games to install in linux I heard there is a huge performance hit due to the fact that it is emulating windows and doing it poorly. I tried an os called react os a while back. It is still in alpha I think but when its all done it is going to be a windows clone but for free.

Hi,

Here is what I know about gaming on linux there are a few programs that you can use. One is called WINE. The next is a paid program with a free trial period from Codeweavers called Cross Over, the last is a program that I am currently trying out, it is called Cedega. I am currently working on installing Steam and getting that to work. Cedega is also a paid program and has a free option.

Cheers!

By light gaming I meant like 1 or 2 very old games, my comp isnt very good with graphics, nothing major at all.

Cant give you the specs of the computer, its currently broken:mad: . I can tell you that its a low end computer meant for businesses, so its not very powerful.

hmm. Well...in that case I prefer XP over linux. I find the compatibility of XP very nice, and it's very easy and straight forward to install things. I found linux's system overly complicated for no reason...probably because your trying to run windows based products on a linux system.

I've heard Linux is "lightning fast" compared to XP. Is this true? How much faster is it?

Back
Top Bottom