voltage for 45nm

Voltage has nthing to do with the manufacturing process.
It depends on what type of cooling you have. The lower, the better though.
The CPU will last longer, the lower you keep the voltages.

I just remember hearing somewhere that your supposed to keep the voltage below like 1.48 or something with the 45nms

Voltage has nthing to do with the manufacturing process.
It depends on what type of cooling you have. The lower, the better though.
The CPU will last longer, the lower you keep the voltages.

Actually, the voltage have everything to do with it. 65nm's can take alot more abuse because of that extra 20nm between transistors. However, the 45nm's are pretty tough too because of the new cadmium transistors they are using.

And I think the e7400 C2D is a 65nm?

65nm basically maxes out at 1.50v-1.51v. I've heard of people going above it, but it's pretty dangerous.
And the word on 45nm (at least quads) is 1.39v (For the Yorkfields, at least.)

Right. For the Yorkfields. The 45nm quad.

Die size...? You mean Transistor spacing.
AMD may be using a different metal compound than Intel. For whatever reason, they were focused hard on "going green" which pisses me off because they use a special hybrid metal that reduces leakage and can't take as much voltage. I suppose that a good and bad thing. But "saving the world" < hardcore overclock.

Nonetheless, I can still top 4GHz on a locked 8.5x

Meh, Im new to overclocking, so whatever.
AMD is doing the eco green whatever things too, but they are making it optional. Pretty cool really, a 60w quad core.

A lot has been said on this subject. There have been lots of rumours about the chips degrading under voltages higher than x volts (The line is generally considered too be around 1.4V)

Whilst there may be a wisp of truth to this, many people have been running their chips at >1.4V since release with zero problems. I have been running 1.368V since release and around a month ago I increased my overclock using 1.44V, no problems so far.

IMO, the degradation is not down to the CPU Vcore, but to the FSB or VVT voltage. I don't know what the limit is here, but I can say that I'm running 4.4GHz with 1.1V. I've seen some people using 1.4V for no apparent reason. So don't increase the FSB voltage unless you are absolutely sure that it's what is holding you back.

AMD's 45nm SOI process seems to be much more voltage tolerant with no reported degradation even with lots of people running at >1.5V

Back
Top Bottom