Whats the Difference between a wireless Access Point and Wireless Router?

Oh they have. But you can always hope someone buys something without payin attention. And I'm sure it happens a good bit with electronically inadequate people.

an access point is just as it says...an access point nothing more nothing less.Usually has a wireless component, and a wired cat5 port to connect to your network.

while a router usually incorporates a switch , LAN ports.There is also a WAN connection. There usually is a firewall, port forwarding, mac tables, DMZ, wireless, DHCP plus others. The most important part of a router is NAT. NAT is network address translation, this allows your router to take the single ip address from yor ISP and use to connect a mutitude of work stations. With out NAT , if using a hub for instance that does not have NAT, The first work station on would aquire that one ip address from your isp and any other work stations would not be able to connect. So NAT Takes that one ip and keeps track of what w/s make requests on the internet , when the requests come back NAT makes sure the request goes to the correct w/s. THEN thre is also SPI or stately paket inspection...SPI inspects each data packet that comes into your router to make sure it was actually requested by someone on the LAN and was not foged by a hacker.

an access point is just as it says...an access point nothing more nothing less.Usually has a wireless component, and a wired cat5 port to connect to your network.

while a router usually incorporates a switch , LAN ports.There is also a WAN connection. There usually is a firewall, port forwarding, mac tables, DMZ, wireless, DHCP plus others. The most important part of a router is NAT. NAT is network address translation, this allows your router to take the single ip address from yor ISP and use to connect a mutitude of work stations. With out NAT , if using a hub for instance that does not have NAT, The first work station on would aquire that one ip address from your isp and any other work stations would not be able to connect. So NAT Takes that one ip and keeps track of what w/s make requests on the internet , when the requests come back NAT makes sure the request goes to the correct w/s. THEN thre is also SPI or stately paket inspection...SPI inspects each data packet that comes into your router to make sure it was actually requested by someone on the LAN and was not foged by a hacker.

Wow, thanks. Very helpful, for me atleast.

I have not used an AP for awhile, now that I think about it AP's do share some simularities w/ routers. Some of the components that keep your neighbor from surfing in on your internet. LIKE SSID, MAC TABLES AND ENCRYPTION.

Wow, thanks. Very helpful, for me atleast
I am glad you liked it BUXTAHUDA

Wow that was helpful. I've cometo realize how smart routers really are....

Back
Top Bottom