Ok, so...

buxtahuda

Baseband Member
all (as far as I'm aware) good gaming computers are PC's, so Microsoft based. All XBox 360's are obviously Microsoft. Is there a way to be able to play 360 games directly on your computer, or is there any kind of emulator yet? And while we're on the subject, if you could run the games on a desktop rather than the console, would you be able to have online capabilities for the games?

From what I understand, to play an XBOX 360 game on the PC, you need to use an emulator.

As for online capabilities, I think that as long as you have internet access on your PC, you would have online game play capabilities

The thing is that they really cannot make an emulator for the 360 on today's PC's.

It is powerPC based with a 3.2 GHz triple core CPU.
Just to emulate the original xbox, it required a very good quad core computer, and this is why the emulator was never released. and the xbox was only like 700 MHz, and intel.

No, there is not an emulator, there will never be an emulator.

Macs are good for gaming too, there are just fewer games for them right now.

Of course they're good for gaming, Mac's are wonderful for their processing capabilities and graphics. I'm an avid Mac fan; I honestly wish they had won the advertising war back in the day. But as you say, there aren't many games out for them, and they're not very customizable due to the fact that they are usually built for the components to work as efficiently as possible together.

But the hardware for an xbox is the same, so surely someone could pull a bit of awesome programming and find a way to emulate the 360 system onto an entirely separate harddrive.

Nope.

Maybe if you had powerPC, but CPU architecture emulation is horribly inefficient.

Besides, like I said, look at the specs on the thing, and the fact that it is always on a very high load.
Its not gonna happen.

The thing is that they really cannot make an emulator for the 360 on today's PC's.

It is powerPC based with a 3.2 GHz triple core CPU.
Just to emulate the original xbox, it required a very good quad core computer, and this is why the emulator was never released. and the xbox was only like 700 MHz, and intel.

So how does that work? It takes a very modern computer to recreate the not-so-modern or powerful XBox?

Yes it does.

Microsoft's engineering team did an excellent job on making the most of it.

Remember what an emulator does. Its not like a compatibility layer or anything, so its going to get more and more inefficient the more parts change.

Yes it does.

Microsoft's engineering team did an excellent job on making the most of it.

Remember what an emulator does. Its not like a compatibility layer or anything, so its going to get more and more inefficient the more parts change.

True, I suppose. So the console is needed, especially the more time goes on. How remarkebly wrong...

Pretty much.
The best emulators out there right now are all the old PSX emulators. After that, all these systems got blown way out of proportion, and it got more and more difficult to keep up.
Those PSX emulators were great though. Its a shame they aren't maintained anymore.

Back
Top Bottom