Building New Game Comp

buxtahuda

Baseband Member
I've been on consoles for my games for years now, playing pc based games only every now and again. However, lately there has been an increase in especially well made and amazing games for computers and so I'll be building a computer to run them. I've put together what looked like I wanted, but I'm curious to see if anyone has any suggestions on better parts or combos, or if anyone has seen what I'm planning on getting doesn't work so well or isn't compatible.

So my future, somewhat financially conscious rig is as follows

APEVIA X-CRUISER-RD Red Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

ASUS M4A79 Deluxe AM2+/AM2 AMD 790FX ATX AMD Motherboard

SAPPHIRE 100259-1GL Radeon HD 4870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card
(What exactly does CrossFire do?)

AMD Phenom II X4 940 Deneb 3.0GHz Socket AM2+ 125W Quad-Core Black Edition Processor Model HDZ940XCGIBOX

Kingston HyperX 2GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 Desktop Memory Model KHX8500D2/2G
(The motherboard supports up to 16 gigs, but is that really so useful when a single 4 gig stick costs like 1-150?)

**Screw this** SeaSonic S12II 380B 380W ATX12V v2.3 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply**

**EDIT** COOLER MASTER UCP RS700-AAAAA3 700W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS SILVER Certified Power Supply **

Western Digital Caviar Blue WD6400AAKS 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive

ASUS Xonar Essence STX Virtual 7.1 Channels PCI Express Interface 124 dB SNR / Headphone AMP Card

Logitech G51 155 watts RMS 5.1 Surround Sound Speakers

SAMSUNG Black 22X DVD Burner Black SATA Model SH-S223B

LG Black Super Multi Blu-ray Disc Burner & HD DVD-ROM Drive SATA Model GGW-H20L LightScribe Support

ENCORE ENLWI-N PCI 2.3 Wireless Adapter
(Have read that if you use RALink drivers instead of Encore it works wonderfully.)

RAZER DeathAdder RZ01-00150100-R3M1 Black 5 Buttons 1 x Wheel USB Optical High Precision Gaming Mouse

RAZER Lycosa Black USB Wired Standard Gaming Keyboard

Hanns·G HG-281DPB Black 27.5" 3ms Widescreen HDMI LCD Monitor

I would change two things, the graphics card and the hard drive.

For the graphics card I would go with Nvidia
XFX Geforce GTX260 Core 216

For hard drive you should go with 750GB it won't cost much more, and it is a big step-up.
Crossfire is for ATI card, SLI is for Nvidia.
Basically what this does is let you run two cards together for more performance.
For example, if you took one of the cards I showed you, and ran it on Crysis, let's say you get 60 FPS, then you could hook up another card, so they both are working on the game and you would get 100 FPS.

For hard drive you should go with 750GB it won't cost much more, and it is a big step-up.
Basically what this does is let you run two cards together for more performance.
For example, if you took one of the cards I showed you, and ran it on Crysis, let's say you get 60 FPS, then you could hook up another card, so they both are working on the game and you would get 100 FPS.

Why would he get an nVidia card when his board is AMD?
I think he would be better off in the future with crossfiring aand his mobo doesn't allow SLI.
He said he's trying to make it future proof, so he might as well stick to that 4870 and crossfire them in the future if he needs/wants to.

oh and you should definitely upgrade that PSU only 380 watts? Ha thats funny.

I think he would be better off in the future with crossfiring aand his mobo doesn't allow SLI.
He said he's trying to make it future proof, so he might as well stick to that 4870 and crossfire them in the future if he needs/wants to.

and your right, but I dont think he needs to crossfire right away:D

future proof? DDR3 maybe?? Maybe get a cheap DDR2 non-sli motherboard and wait till the drop in price of DDR3 mobos drop in price before investining in one? Maybe? Don't take just my word.
Tom

tom eh your kind of right, but in reality most of us dont even utilize the top DDR2 ram yet, I guess if he wanted to he could, sense I am a Intel SLi boy I'd say do that, but even I cant argue with the work of the Phenom! Just cheaper.

Yeah, no nVidia with AMD board. Decided on AMD cuz I've seen it run games a little better, atleast with some stuff. And I'd be just using the new HD as a slave to my current 400 GB HD, and I have a 250 GB Ext. Over a TB = just fine and almost unpractical for me lol

Yup, that was the general plan, even though I still don't know what CrossFire is. Suppose I'll google it in a moment. And thank you all for the input, rep for all ^.^

Ah, just means multiple cards in one comp, huh?

oh and you should definitely upgrade that PSU only 380 watts? Ha thats funny.

and your right, but I dont think he needs to crossfire right away:D

Hmm, ok. How bout COOLER MASTER UCP RS700-AAAAA3 700W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS SILVER Certified Power Supply. Don't know what specs I was limiting my search to last time, but this'll work. Mighta been goin for lower price.

My personal opinion here. You could get a very well priced DDR3 computer and not have to spend very much money. Would you like me to give you an example of what I was thinking of?

I agree that you should stick to an ATI graphics card, especially running an AMD CPU and an AMD/ATI mobo.

Crossfire is ATI's linking system allowing you to run two graphics cards together, as if they were one. So you could buy two of the same graphics cards and put the crossfire bridge in place and be almost twice as fast, which if you want to play the newest high graphics games in the highest settings you would want to do.

Back
Top Bottom