Norton Ghost

d_source

Daemon Poster
Hi all,

I had created a backup of my OS drive (C:) a few months ago. My system is running a little slower than it should be ATM and I would like to go back to the earlier version. I want to restore my backup onto my C: drive. How would Norton Ghost do this and what are the risks involved?

All/any info on using Ghost are welcome as i've never restored a backup using it.

Thanks.

It works the same way as when you ghosted everything onto that second drive. If you made an exact copy (no image file) you just select the source as the second drive. If you had it make an image file, you can select that as your source.

Only real risk involved is losing any data you have not backed up.

there are a few ways to restore it your image..

Boot using Ghost and follow the onscreen instructions to restore you image. (browse to where your backup image is stored)

if you have the ghost software installed, it usually displays in the taskbar, just right click on it and select restore system, browse to the backup image and proceed. (it will reboot and restore)

So the program (ghost) will continue to run and restore an old image even though the drive where the program is running from is being wiped and replaced with another image? That's what scares me is that it will stop in the middle b/c the program is wiped out and then i'm left with nothing.

In theory yes. It's always best to do this kind of thing with a LiveCD but it should still work. Odds are it'll load what it needs into a RAM drive before going. However, when in doubt, a quick shout-out to Symantec might be your best bet here.

So the program (ghost) will continue to run and restore an old image even though the drive where the program is running from is being wiped and replaced with another image? That's what scares me is that it will stop in the middle b/c the program is wiped out and then i'm left with nothing.

It wont stop, it works just fine ive done 100s of images that way,....

Back
Top Bottom