OS Wars ........again

LOL yeah, I got another one for the foothead FAIL log.

Has anyone here ever used freeBSD?
I have a friend that uses it, and he says it is very good.

Is freeBSD good? I am looking for a good server OS. I would look into red hat.. Just I don't think it's right paying for a linux distro.

I hear ubuntu server ed uses more cpu and ram than others.

Oh and for the OP

I prefer Windows and Linux. I have never been a mac fan.
I might actually like it if I used it, I just don't really find a need to switch to it.
Linux and Windows cover all that I need for now.

EDIT: Also on the first page there was talk about Linux being a mac knock off. . . Did he seriously say that? Does he want to die?

The only big difference between OSX and Windows is that OSX has a 30sec start up time.... Linux also has a 30 sec start up time on my comp ( I got it Dual booted)

I think soon Linux is gonna become a serious competitor on the market, but first they need to make it more gamer friendly.:)

On my server, Ubuntu is ready for me to log in after about twenty seconds. :)

Vampist said:
Is freeBSD good? I am looking for a good server OS. I would look into red hat.. Just I don't think it's right paying for a linux distro.

I hear ubuntu server ed uses more cpu and ram than others.

There's nothing wrong with paying for a Linux distribution. If you want Red Hat, but don't want to pay, use CentOS. It's Red Hat, stripped of all branding and available at no cost. Of course, you don't get support from Red Hat, but you probably don't want that anyway. :)

freebsd, solaris, debian and gentoo are the three ones that I'd use in terms of server OS's. Solaris has the advantage of ZFS, which is the most brilliant file system in existance at the moment, and debian is especially great on older hardware. FreeBSD I find good for just setting up and leaving, I've never done anything complicated with it but for the bare essentials (like file sharing) it works like a charm. Gentoo is great when you want to build a really sleek, customised system from the ground up.

I think soon Linux is gonna become a serious competitor on the market, but first they need to make it more gamer friendly.
Actually, it's probably the games companies that need to make the games more linux friendly - there's good drivers out there for the majority of cards at the moment and 3D stuff that's been ported over does for the most part run very nicely.

In terms of startup times, I'm logged in and ready to work in well under 30 seconds on my box, it's only a couple of months old but it was a modest build - if I splashed out on some more fancy components I could easily bring that down further. If I used something like Gentoo I could probably get it down further still (using a stripped down Ubuntu install currently.)

Windows on the other hand... well. Let's not go there. It's not appalling, but nowhere near as quick.

foothead said:
Red hat costs because it contains non-free software.
Fedora is the free version. (althoughh it has changed a ton since the initial release.)

Actually, CentOS is technically the free version of RHEL. Fedora is a free RHEL-based distribution (with a lot of input from RHEL developers) but I wouldn't consider it for general use, myself - it's a little too bleeding-edge for me.

Actually, it's probably the games companies that need to make the games more linux friendly - there's good drivers out there for the majority of cards at the moment and 3D stuff that's been ported over does for the most part run very nicely.

It's all-round when it comes to that. People say that Linux isn't compatible with software, but the opposite is in fact the case. Developers are the ones that need to work on making their software work with Linux (which should be really easy, considering Linux is open-source).

The problem is that Microsoft is like delivering ultimatums to companies if they make the disk compatible with MAC and windows (or so I've heard) that won't let them put the 'games for windows' label or promote it.

No idea of the truth of this though.

Microsoft hates linux right now.

Back
Top Bottom