OS Wars ........again

It's just my preferred way of doing things really - I can get a working system in a matter of minutes, and then take my time rebuilding the kernel / uninstalling what I don't want to when I get time.

If I had a while spare on the trot that's the approach I'd probably take though, thanks for the heads up :)

No problem. I find it's easier to do it this way than the way you do it because there are a lot of things that are inter-linked and I have to set about removing a lot of things here and there before I can get rid of the main bloat. :)

I just install every Debian disk (it's like 5 DVD's now) and keep everything on them.
It doesn't seem to slow it down at all.

It's not a case of things being slow or not, it's a case of having all these things I don't want. For example, Tomboy, OpenOffice.org, Evolution, Movie Player, Rhythmbox, any printer-related applications, F-Spot, XSane, Ekiga Softphone, Transmission, Brasero and the GNOME games are all things I don't want and will never use, so why have them?

I'm not actually all that fond of GNOME or KDE either, and usually prefer to just use Openbox where I can (although my desktop machine still has GNOME just because I haven't done anything much with it for over a year >.<). I like to maximise the resources I can use by minimising what my operating system uses, so any excess applications are given the boot straight away. :)

Funny, all the things you listed are the main things i DO want.

I don't really care much if i have extra stuff because I have enightenment E-16 so I have a mac dock with all the programs I use.

EDIT: Oh ^$#% bad place to typo.
If u have already read my post, i meant for that to be an 'o' in the word dock...

The only big difference between OSX and Windows is that OSX has a 30sec start up time.... Linux also has a 30 sec start up time on my comp ( I got it Dual booted)

I think soon Linux is gonna become a serious competitor on the market, but first they need to make it more gamer friendly.:)

The only big difference between OSX and Windows is that OSX has a 30sec start up time.... Linux also has a 30 sec start up time on my comp ( I got it Dual booted)

I think soon Linux is gonna become a serious competitor on the market, but first they need to make it more gamer friendly.:)

You are sooooo wrong here.
Windows and OS X are not the same in any way. They never had the same base system, they use different FS types, etc.

I doubt the linux thing too. ASUS promoted it for a while, but people demanded windows.
Windows on a netbook...what a joke...

Lol how does Windows on a netbook work. Those things hold like 1gb of ram max. Those ppl must have a lot of time on there hands to be waiting that long for a program to start

Back
Top Bottom