All Things Audio

Golden Master
Anyone have any audio systems they'd like to share? Guess I'll start the discussion by answering a question.

I know that this isnt a mesaure of quality or anything:- But how loud do you listen to your music/films etc?

I'm pretty conservative when it comes to loud music, but I like having the headroom. Here's a SPL calculator to see how loud your system can theoretically get. There are plenty of other items to factor in, but this calculator is based on the technical side of things, assuming your equipment can actually reach their rated specifications.

http://myhometheater.homestead.com/splcalculator.html

Satellites -

00000135.png

Subwoofer -

00000136.png

I will post mine tomorrow hopefully. I'll have to look up the specs again, because I don't post them enough to remember them offhand. I'll give you my whole setup :D

I hope to see an audio sub-forum soon :)

Hi guys

I will post some pics if I figure out how!

So, over the years, my world of audio did evolve to say the least. I tried a number of commercial brand names and did listen to many types of audio rigs. This said, I listen to both 2 channel audio and multi channel. I do prefer by quite a margin 2 channel audio for listening to music and multi channel for movies and DvD music shows.

So, here is what I have right now.

Primary system in a dedicated media room.

This system is in a room that all the walls are covered in Russian birchply. I have acoustic OC 703 panels that absorb both 1st and 2nd reflection. Velour curtains in both front and back of the room whcih allows me a .5 RT60 of the room. My FR measures FLAT from 20hz to 16KHZ at the listening position within 4 dbs at 1/3 octaves. A more precise measurement reveals a lot of comb filtering that has not been resolved. I do have room resonantes that have been dealt with either - see work in progress.

So, the speakers are Open baffles that me and a buddy made. Over the years I have always enjoyed the sound of DIPOLES over point source. Then another preference in dynamics were Front loaded (some back loaded) horns. Lastly I have always enjoyed the immediacy, agility and snap of highly efficient drivers.

My solution to all this put somewhat into one was Open Baffles. I therefore did my whole audio rig in open baffle, this would include the mains AND all the surrounds.

The Mains consist of an Altec 515B bass driver matched to an Electrovoice SP15a matched to Fountek Cd Pro 5i ribbon tweeter. The overall efficiency at 1KHZ is 102dbs at 1 watt at 1 meter. Top these speakers I have TRIamped Chipset amps by IOaudio that have 25 watts each. So, I have one amp dedicated to the bass response, one to the wideband EV drivers and one to the ribbon driver.

Subjectively speaking, this gives me that natural feel of a soundstage since they are dipoles. Since they are highly efficient, I have a very highly resolving system that allows me the inner detail, the rythm, the snap and incredible dynamics. This system is on idle at 102 dbs and can attain 125 db effortlessly. While you might say OMG 125db he'll be deaf as a nail in a week - I just want to mention that this is in a crescendo or a snap of snare drum whcih could be micro second to seconds - so in theory there is no danger.

My Preamp is Plinius

My TT preamp is a Chinese knock of an AudioNote. Forgot the name :confused:

The source goes from a multi media Squeeze Box, a dedicated CEC transport to a Reimyo DAP 777 Dac, to a VPI Turn table. All the sources give me different amounts of pleasure.

In the Multi channel world I have a 123 inch screen with a Panasonic projector 1080i. I am blank at the model right now :confused: To this is a PS3 that served both as a media player, a game console and my BD player. I must say it is a beautiful machine.

My Pre Pro is a Rotel 1056.

Bryston 8B is what drive to corner subs that are peerless drivers. This will be changed shortly to an IB sub with 6 15 inch drivers.

Surrounds are Electrovoice wideband drivers SP 12C.

I am forgetting a whack of stuff for the main system but if there are questions, I'll add.

Secondary system:

This one is upsatirs in the living room.

It consists of back loaded horms Spiral Cornus that are loaded with Supravox 4 inch Wideband drivers with an efficiency of 97db at 1 watt at one meter. To this are 2 sources, one is a Copland Redbook player CDA 822 and a SB3. I love streaming both internet radio and my media from my PC. I also have my satelitte connected which gives me satelittle radio.

My 3rd system consists of a Panny 1080P plasma that I have a PS3, PC and satelitte on. I love streaming and watching my media on this tv in the living room. The media room is a little intense with all the stuff and I can't fit too many people into it (see 3 or 4) So, in the the living room everyone can see my pictures, my movies or stream the net.

Yes I can do all that in the media room, but for some strange reason I do like being in the living room to do this with guest. I guess the media room is my little Ferrari that only me and my son visit and on occassion my GF!

Pics will follow.

The Mains consist of an Altec 515B bass driver matched to an Electrovoice SP15a matched to Fountek Cd Pro 5i ribbon tweeter.

Good to see someone using vintage Altec drivers. It's a shame to see what happened to the company over the years. Looking forward to the pictures.

I will post some pics if I figure out how!

Use Photobucket.com to upload your photos.

Back
Top Bottom