Wrt54g V8

Nateo200

Baseband Member
Ok so please hear me out this is NOT your typical "How do you get the antenna's off?" question. I recently purchased a WRT54G to replace my old one that I had. Well I noticed the Antennas looked funny and quickly learned thrue some less than pleasant google searches that Linksys and there awesome wisdom decided not to make them removable in the V8 version!! Great so my genus plan to provide Wifi for a nearby area via WRT54G with a nice directional antenna has failed yet again! So my question is, is there a modification I can do to hook an antenna like Idk cracking it open, and wiring it manually or am I totally fucked into Linksys dumb new design?

It was kind of like a gift/me buying it from my parents and I would hate to have to take it back and try and find a Version 6. I really do like the WRT54G, I loved my old one but this no removable antenna has been agrivating me. I had no idea they changed this as its the same brand name and the picture is damn near if not exactly the same. I really am pissed off at not being able to get the damn antenna's off. I guess I could find one of the idk countless people with an older WRT54G that don't even know what an antenna is and trade but thats a strange question to ask....lots of responses greatly appreciated. Quick question: Does this: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=628089&CatId=372 have removable antenna's in the newest version? Might have to take my WRT54G back and get this if it does, I really just need an Access Point but the router feature is nice....

Sidenote: This thing is pwning the shit out of my Netgear Rangemax by allot and I have them on total opposite channels as well....weird.

No one has any suggestions?

Instead of doing that, I would try using the dd-wrt firmware and amping up the gain. You can go very high with those and reach some pretty heft distances. Otherwise you can also just put a dome behind your stock antennae, it will give you some direction on it. But its nothing you would want to do a snipe shot with.

Instead of doing that, I would try using the dd-wrt firmware and amping up the gain. You can go very high with those and reach some pretty heft distances. Otherwise you can also just put a dome behind your stock antennae, it will give you some direction on it. But its nothing you would want to do a snipe shot with.

So put like DD-Wrt micro on it and Jack up the power? How high can I go with the power with out breaking my router? I've tried the aluminium foil dome thing and it works nice but nothing like some of the luxul directional antennas with like 30 degree spread.....still curious about opening the AP up and looking inside but I'll have to look at DD Wrt I never knew you could increase power with it.

I would start with the micro, it may not have the proper wireless functions. I'm using the mega (WRT350n) and I can do just about everything with it. Just take your time with it and take little steps up with it keeping an eye on everything. If you start losing a lot of packets or it starts throwing excessive heat back it down. I would not suggestt going full on with it though.

I would start with the micro, it may not have the proper wireless functions. I'm using the mega (WRT350n) and I can do just about everything with it. Just take your time with it and take little steps up with it keeping an eye on everything. If you start losing a lot of packets or it starts throwing excessive heat back it down. I would not suggestt going full on with it though.

Ok thanks. I've upgraded Custom firmware before on other devices but never on a router, I'm worried about bricking it.... How difficult is it to install?

I'm not sure about the v8, But on most of those, (especially the WRT54g series) its as simple as downloading the firmware, logging into the router, and selecting upgrade firmware from the admin tab.

There is always a chance at bricking your router. But from what I have seen its a very very small chance. I bought mine used for 100 a while ago and loaded dd-wrt before I even hooked it up the my WAN. Worked great and took about 10 mins.

I'm not sure about the v8, But on most of those, (especially the WRT54g series) its as simple as downloading the firmware, logging into the router, and selecting upgrade firmware from the admin tab.

There is always a chance at bricking your router. But from what I have seen its a very very small chance. I bought mine used for 100 a while ago and loaded dd-wrt before I even hooked it up the my WAN. Worked great and took about 10 mins.

Well i asked because I read around that the v8s can only use micro due to flash memory only being like 2 MBs.

Back
Top Bottom