asus p8v ethernet port no lights

rainland

Beta member
Hello
I got a computer from a friend, and i changed some components in it and installed new OS. Now when i start it everything runs fine, except that when i plug the ethernet cable in, nothing happens. The problem cannot be in drivers because the light should turn on when the computer is on stand-by, right?

Only when the computer has been on and when i shut it off both lights appear, but the green one just blinks and orange stays as long as i don't start the computer and just before OS starts to load itself, the orange light goes off.
I don't think that I broke something there, and motherboard didn't get any electric shocks. Internet worked like a charm before I got this computer
Idea anyone? or does someone has experienced this kind of problem?

thanks

The problem cannot be in drivers because the light should turn on when the computer is on stand-by, right?
This would entirely depend on the model - some do, some don't. Even if it's meant to, it could still be a driver issue, it depends on the specifics of how it works and what controls the light.

I'd check in device manager and make sure the driver is installed. It might also be worth grabbing knoppix (or most linux live cds nowadays) and booting up to see if it recognises and loads the network card - linux kernel support for ethernet devices is very good these days and if it's not physically damaged then it should be able to pick it up and use it. When you've booted into knoppix you can also run "lspci" (no quotes) from a shell and you should see something in the list like this:
01:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller (rev 03)
It won't be the same because that's the example from my box, but something similar. It'll be listed there regardless of any driver issues, so chances are if it's not in that list then it's been physically damaged. There are exceptions to that rule, but that should give you a starting point. If it works under knoppix then you'll know it's definitely ok and it is a driver issue. If not you can start looking at other causes.

If all else fails don't panic - I'd just pop a NIC in one of the PCI slots. Dead cheap nowadays and it'll work just as well.

When you've booted into knoppix you can also run "lspci" ...

the OS im running the system there now is ubuntu server, i shall try that

If all else fails don't panic - I'd just pop a NIC in one of the PCI slots. Dead cheap nowadays and it'll work just as well.

why didn't i think of that :D i have loads of them scattered around my apartment

but anyway, thanks a lot. i'll try that command and see if anything happens.

edit: i typed the lspci there and got:

00:0a.0 Ethernet controller: Marvell Technology Group Ltd. 88E8001 Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 13)

edit2: ok, i put an ethernet port in the pci device and it starts to blink, but doesn't work either.
should i change the primary ethernet port or what? because the hard disk was in another computer before i changed it on this. or should i reinstall the server and in the installation configure those ports?

Back
Top Bottom