screwy linksys routers

ace777

Fully Optimized
What is with some of the linksys routers? Me and my friend both have the same problem, if its plugged in for to long then you have to physically go over, D/C the power and reconnect and then it works. for mine DHCP works but no pages load, and on his there is no DHCP going on period. So im just wondering what the deal is? they are both kinda old 2-3 years and Im planning on switching to a nicer wireless one shortly.

What model router is it? My DHCP was kinda screwy when I first started using mine. But I just started leaving the DHCP running but setting my own ip's using the end computers. But at the same time using an outside DNS and not the router. I don't know exactly why but this has been VERY stable.

im not sure, just the common WRT model, its a wireless G and there is no way to tell ATM because im at a wifi hotspot.

im not sure, just the common WRT model, its a wireless G and there is no way to tell ATM because im at a wifi hotspot.

Probably one of the many versions of the WRT54g (or the WRT54g2). First step would be to check for the newest firmware. When I had that router set up, updating firmware fixed that for me.

I switched to D-Link a long time ago

But D-link does not do so well with VPN's. Linksys comes out on top for that one.

It is hard to tell. I've used a Linksys WRT54g (or similar) for many many years with no trouble. Updating the firmware would be a good start. Also make sure they are not located in a place where they get too hot. Sometimes, when the power flickers, I have to D/C the power. It's like the router starts to turn off, then turns on, and gets stuck somewhere in between. Could this be an issue?

Back
Top Bottom